Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 MyGig Navigation Question

Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 MyGig Navigation Question

Greetings everyone. Still fairly new to the forum. This is my first question I've posted so here goes..

A week ago I bought a new, 2011 RER MyGig on eBay and installed it this weekend in my 2008 JK. The item looks awesome and does almost everything I want it to. The only issue I'm having is with the navigation. As you know, the 2011 MyGig's are loaded with Garmin maps and there is no longer an external antenna. When I try to use the navigation, it constantly says it's searching for satellites. I've read many of your posts on similar issues where other members comment on the number of satellite's they see on the screen (1, 3, 9, etc). I checked today while trying to get it to work and didn't see anywhere on the screen where it indicated there were any satellites.

Specifically, where the little vehicle icon is on the screen, every couple of seconds a red question mark flashes over it. It seems as if it is trying to acquire a position/location/satellite but cannot. I disconnected the battery for an hour, hoping it would reset with no luck. I also tried to reset the home location to my house (in Florida) but the unit map continues to display the same location in Kansas (perhaps where the unit came from). Anyway, the seller assured me all of the maps and the software are up to date because the unit is so new. Everything else works great, in terms of satellite radio, dvd, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may have to be flashed at the dealer.....
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kboone165
Greetings everyone. Still fairly new to the forum. This is my first question I've posted so here goes..

A week ago I bought a new, 2011 RER MyGig on eBay and installed it this weekend in my 2008 JK. The item looks awesome and does almost everything I want it to. The only issue I'm having is with the navigation. As you know, the 2011 MyGig's are loaded with Garmin maps and there is no longer an external antenna. When I try to use the navigation, it constantly says it's searching for satellites. I've read many of your posts on similar issues where other members comment on the number of satellite's they see on the screen (1, 3, 9, etc). I checked today while trying to get it to work and didn't see anywhere on the screen where it indicated there were any satellites.

Specifically, where the little vehicle icon is on the screen, every couple of seconds a red question mark flashes over it. It seems as if it is trying to acquire a position/location/satellite but cannot. I disconnected the battery for an hour, hoping it would reset with no luck. I also tried to reset the home location to my house (in Florida) but the unit map continues to display the same location in Kansas (perhaps where the unit came from). Anyway, the seller assured me all of the maps and the software are up to date because the unit is so new. Everything else works great, in terms of satellite radio, dvd, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
Hey kboone165, where did you get the information about the 2011 Garmin Nav units no longer having or needing an antenna?

For the life of me, I can't think of a single GPS unit that would rely solely on dead reckoning (no antenna).

Are you sure the seller didn't forget to include the antenna? Maybe he/she wants you to buy it separately?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Kboone,
I think the 2011 does not need the antenna, I can't confirm it, but I did read it somewhere. I did find this via google.

2011 MYGIG, RER is now obsolete
Garmin is now making the Navigation Radios instead of HB.
Garmin nav, BT music streaming, play music from usb port, voice texting, album art, Sirius Travel link, remote usb port for Ipod, voice control of iPod...
5064829AF is the only known part number at the time I'm updating this thread.
I would guess that there are AA, AB, AC, AD, AE as well.

The old RER Navigation, required a GPS antenna.

So you may want to check the unit and confirm that it is a 2011 and not a 2010 or older.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

seems if it doesnt need an external antenna there simply would be no connector for one to plug in?

or perhaps the 2011 uses a different SIRIUS antenna that also incorporates the GPS antenna.. might want to get the part number from the dealership for the associated antennas for 2011 and for 2010 JK's and find out if they are different...

-Christopher
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NH-JK
it may have to be flashed at the dealer.....
Thank you for the reply. By flashed, I think you mean have the dealer update it or something; perhaps to confirm its running the right software?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Steve's 95YJ
Hey kboone165, where did you get the information about the 2011 Garmin Nav units no longer having or needing an antenna?

For the life of me, I can't think of a single GPS unit that would rely solely on dead reckoning (no antenna).

Are you sure the seller didn't forget to include the antenna? Maybe he/she wants you to buy it separately?
Steve's 95YJ,

Thanks for the reply. I bought it on eBay (link below) from a reputable seller who has sold electronics in the past and provided many links for MyGig help. I know next to nothing about electronics but was able to install it myself because it was really simple. I know what you mean about the 2011 unit not needing an antenna but honestly that was one of the appealing things about this unit. I'm not crazy about the idea of running some type of cable/antenna somewhere where it can be seen. I have spoken to the seller and he advised he was told the new 2011 MyGig's no longer needed the antenna. He has offered to purchase an antenna for me to remedy this issue which is nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300468171769&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Last edited by Moochie; 09-27-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Please, no direct eBay links
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hitthegspot
Hey Kboone,
I think the 2011 does not need the antenna, I can't confirm it, but I did read it somewhere. I did find this via google.

2011 MYGIG, RER is now obsolete
Garmin is now making the Navigation Radios instead of HB.
Garmin nav, BT music streaming, play music from usb port, voice texting, album art, Sirius Travel link, remote usb port for Ipod, voice control of iPod...
5064829AF is the only known part number at the time I'm updating this thread.
I would guess that there are AA, AB, AC, AD, AE as well.

The old RER Navigation, required a GPS antenna.

So you may want to check the unit and confirm that it is a 2011 and not a 2010 or older.

TY for the response. I will check again but it said 2011 on it somewhere when I first opened it. It is strange however because there were only two plug looking things on the back of it so I plugged in the existing wires which were there from the original radio. Not sure what those do (one must be for Sat radio). I just hope if this unit does require an antenna, there's an obvious place to plug it in. Other than this headache, the thing is pretty cool.

Kelly
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
seems if it doesnt need an external antenna there simply would be no connector for one to plug in?

or perhaps the 2011 uses a different SIRIUS antenna that also incorporates the GPS antenna.. might want to get the part number from the dealership for the associated antennas for 2011 and for 2010 JK's and find out if they are different...

-Christopher

Exactly Chris. I don't know where it will plug in if I need one (there are still two empty ports on the back, one big, one small). We'll see and yes I will check for the part number for the 2011 unit. Thanks for the information.

Kelly
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Kboone,
I saw the pics in the e-bay posting (posted the back pic). I think it is a 2011, so no antena is needed it's built in. The thing that I question is his pic of the NAV display where it says "Searching for Sat". He also states that he plugged it into his 2008 and it worked. Where did he get it? You could contact Jeep and ask for help (you need some help), but I would be worried where the unit came from "Hot", or contact the sell and let them know that you are having issues with the GPS functionality and if they can't help you, you would like to send it back.

Somthing seems amiss with this unit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_MyGiG_Back..jpg
Views:	268
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	91320  

Last edited by Hitthegspot; 09-27-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 MyGig Navigation Question