Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 MyGig Navigation Question

Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was wondering, how did someone get their hand's on a 2011 MyGig already?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hitthegspot
Hey Kboone,
I saw the pics in the e-bay posting (posted the back pic). I think it is a 2011, so no antena is needed it's built in. The thing that I question is his pic of the NAV display where it says "Searching for Sat". He also states that he plugged it into his 2008 and it worked. Where did he get it? You could contact Jeep and ask for help (you need some help), but I would be worried where the unit came from "Hot", or contact the sell and let them know that you are having issues with the GPS functionality and if they can't help you, you would like to send it back.

Somthing seems amiss with this unit.
Thank you for the response AND for posting a picture (I spent an hour trying to cut and paste it here for people to see- no luck). I have been in contact with him and he seems open to trying to remedy the problem. Like you said, on the photo's in the auction, it shows no satellites available. Unfortunately and similar to what I've been reading on other MyGig posts here, the Jeep dealership here seems uniformed (to be nice) when it comes to MyGig questions so I didn't get much help with them. I'm searching (google) for a number (if one exists) to perhaps Chrysler/Jeep to hopefully speak with someone. Its cool thinking that I have a new unit and won't require an external antenna, but I want it to work. Thanks again.

Kelly
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kboone165
Steve's 95YJ,

Thanks for the reply. I bought it on eBay (link below) from a reputable seller who has sold electronics in the past and provided many links for MyGig help. I know next to nothing about electronics but was able to install it myself because it was really simple. I know what you mean about the 2011 unit not needing an antenna but honestly that was one of the appealing things about this unit. I'm not crazy about the idea of running some type of cable/antenna somewhere where it can be seen. I have spoken to the seller and he advised he was told the new 2011 MyGig's no longer needed the antenna. He has offered to purchase an antenna for me to remedy this issue which is nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300468171769&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
OK, so it's not that the 2011 Garmin based MyGIG does not need/use an antenna, it just has an internal antenna rather than an external one...........good information to know, thanks.

When I first installed mine ('09 RER model purchased on eBay) it took about half an hour for the navigation to start working properly.

Have you given yours enough time after the install to sort itself out?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Steve's 95YJ
OK, so it's not that the 2011 Garmin based MyGIG does not need/use an antenna, it just has an internal antenna rather than an external one...........good information to know, thanks.

When I first installed mine ('09 RER model purchased on eBay) it took about half an hour for the navigation to start working properly.

Have you given yours enough time after the install to sort itself out?

I think so. It's been a couple of days now still with no signal. I don't drive the jeep regularly (company car) so I usually only drive it on weekends. I called Jeep corporate today, looking/hoping to get a manual or some type of literature for it. The woman told be the 2011 JK's aren't out yet and asked how I could have this MyGig already...what a good question. I emailed the guy I bought it from today and asked what his thoughts were. I really would like to keep it, but want the navigation to work. One of the other members was kind enough to post a picture of the back of my MyGig unit from the auction which shows there is no external antenna port. So, this leads me to believe it must be an internal antenna (or one is not needed). Do I see if he'll accept a return for a refund and try to by a 2010 model MyGig or keep this one for awhile until some literature comes out and the dealers are familiar with it and can fix the problem? Not sure. Thank you for your input.

Kelly
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was the mopar part number on it? you have a photo of the front of it? It have a Nav button like the older ones?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

If it has an internal antenna, then the configuration of the dash above it may make a difference in reception. It there's some metal or brace or different material of some sort above the unit in pre-2011s compared to the 2011, that may cause a problem for an internal antenna. fwiw...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

The whole case of the mygig is metal, so I can't imagine how an internal antenna would work. Indeed, the manual here

http://www.jeep.com/download/pdf/man...RBZ-OM-1st.pdf

states

GPS Navigation Antenna – If Equipped
The antenna for the navigation GPS system is mounted in various locations (depending on the vehicle model) within the dashboard. Do not place items on the dash- board around the GPS antenna location. Objects placed within the line of sight of the antenna will decrease performance. Do not place items directly on or above the antenna.
Note - that unit isn't an RER. It's an RHB (Media Center 430N, likely from a Grand Cherokee WK2). I don't believe the seller is very well informed. As a previous poster said, something seems amiss here.

Last edited by quite98; 09-28-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Garmin and I just thought of this... Look at page 113.

Check your settings and see if the unit is set to Simulate...

GPS Simulator – enable the simulator to turn off the
GPS mode and simulate navigation.

if it is set to Simulate, you would want to turn this feature off to find a Sat connection.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hitthegspot
I have a Garmin and I just thought of this... Look at page 113.

Check your settings and see if the unit is set to Simulate...

GPS Simulator – enable the simulator to turn off the
GPS mode and simulate navigation.

if it is set to Simulate, you would want to turn this feature off to find a Sat connection.

Good idea Hitthegspot and worth a try, although on my Nuvi 660 when it's in simulation mode the screen actually has a little balloon in the left corner that says "Simulating" and the green bar along the top also says "Simulating GPS" rather than "Acquiring Satellites".

In the Nuvi the setting is under "Tools", "System", "Simulator" then select On or Off. The MyGIG might be set up a little different but still worth looking into.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Just look at the front face plate. At the bottom right hand corner of the front face plate there will be 3 letters designating which radio you have.

That is not an "RER"....I can tell that by the connectors on the back. So we need to figure out what you really have.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 MyGig Navigation Question