Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Engine Wiring Harness issue, I think.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Jeep Wrangler Engine Wiring Harness issue, I think.

Hello to all, I am new to the group. I was told to take to the forums for some guidance with my situation.

My Jeep has been some pretty bad issues lately and it has finally gotten on my last nerve.

At first the Jeep would be going down the round then it would start running really rough. Like the RPMs would bounce (from 1200rpm to 1500rpm). Pretty much like limp mode. I think that's the term. I hooked up a code reader to figure out the codes it was throwing. The codes it was throwing were: P2122 P1618 P0339 P2111.
I asked around on what to do. I replaced the MAP sensor first. That seemed to fix the issue. Atleast for a couple weeks. Then the problem occurred again. So I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. And that seemed to fix the issue for the evening. After that, all the symptoms seem to point to needing a new PCM. So after dragging my feet, I bought a new PCM for the dang thing. I had it programmed and installed for me, since I know nothing about a PCM. That fixed the issue for the ride home. I hit a small pothole entering the drive way of my home and it killed the Jeep. So I thought maybe it's wiring harness issue. If I grab the wiring harness buy the Camshaft Position Sensor and MAP sensor and wiggle it, it causes the Jeep to run really rough or die.

My question is: Have I done everything right to assume that is a wiring harness issue? Is there anything else I should check or look into?
And does anyone know where I can find a detailed wiring harness schematic for this particular Jeep?

Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is appreciated.

-Josh
Old 03-30-2017, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

In my opinion, the best way to get wiring diagrams for your JK is with an AllDataDIY subscription. It will also include access to the factory service manual.

If you can get repeatable results by wiggling the wire harness, I would have to believe that's where the problem lies.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chrysler has had some problems with TIPM units also. The best way to describe a tipm problem is "my jeep has a gremlin". All kinds of weird things happen.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can make it happen repeatedly by wiggling the harness in the same spot start looking to see what connections are close you might just have a loose connection . The radio in my 2016 would go on and off all by itself the dealer said I needed a new radio it ended up being the connector on the back of the radio just had a loose pin took me 30 minutes to find it and fix it .

Quick Reply: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Engine Wiring Harness issue, I think.