Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2014 JKU OEM Alpine subwoofer wiring question

Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JKU OEM Alpine subwoofer wiring question

I've searched for days and days and cannot find an answer to this question:

On my 2014 JKU w/the 730N Alpine system, the stock subwoofer is a DVC with each leg @ 2 Ohms. I have a new replacement 8" Kicker (10C82) 2 Ohm (100W RMS) SVC sub which I read on another forum should be an ideal replacement...??? Jury's out on this one.

My question is: Should I combine both legs in parallel (+) (+) and (-)(-) into the single (+) and (-) terminals of the new SVC sub?

If I understand correctly, this will not alter the resistance or voltage, or should I only connect one leg of the OEM harness to the new sub? (+) and (-) to (+) and (-). I'm concerned that since my OEM amp has a 2 channel sub output, not loading one channel could cause an unbalance and damage the system and/or cause a degradation in performance.

Any help/knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!!

PS: Other upgrades to system: all 4 OEM speakers upgraded with Kicker Mopar upgraded speakers and new 1" tweeters. I plan to keep everything else, i.e. amp and H/U as is...for now. That may change when summer rolls around and the top comes off. The OEM sound is pretty horrible if you're an audiophile like me. I like crisp highs, proper mids and punchy clean lows. This 730N simply cannot deliver!! Speaker upgrades help, but won't get you all the way there.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

If the factory sub amp has 2 channels, do not combine the two + and - terminals to your new sub. You will likely damage the factory amp. The better solution using the factory amp is the find a dual voice coil sub the has a 2 ohm impudence on each coil.

You can run a single channel from a factory amp. Some people will say this will damage an amp because it is an "unbalanced" load. I'm not sure about how true this is but I guess it all depends on how well an amp is made.

I used the factory deck with my Alpine mids in the stock pods for a while and that sounded pretty good. Then I wanted much better and changed out the entire system.

I am a former car stereo installer. Sounds like you may change your system out eventually. You have many options on what you can do.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2015 Alpine Sub Installed to a 2014 Wrangler

I realize this post is old but in case anyone else is looking to do this I want them to know it is possible to wire a 4 ohm sub from a 2015 or newer to the 2014 wrangler with the Alpine System (2 ohm). I just had it done at an audio shop. If anyone is interested I can post a picture of how it was wired. The reason I did this was so I can change the location of the subwoofer.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2015 Jeep sub

Originally Posted by case0005
I realize this post is old but in case anyone else is looking to do this I want them to know it is possible to wire a 4 ohm sub from a 2015 or newer to the 2014 wrangler with the Alpine System (2 ohm). I just had it done at an audio shop. If anyone is interested I can post a picture of how it was wired. The reason I did this was so I can change the location of the subwoofer.
Hi, I’ve been looking for hours trying to see if I can buy a 2015+ alpine floor sub and make it work with a new system. I replaced all other speakers w alpine and really needs some bass. My problem i have a 3rd row seat so space is very limited. When I saw the floor mount sub for $135 I though that’s awesome till I read people selling cause they say it’s not compatible unless you have the 9 speaker system. I have a factory non alpine HU, but will be changing out as well as an aftermarket amp to run all. Can this be done? Can I make an aftermarket HU and aftermarket amp run the sub? Was wiring difficult? Do you have diagrams? Sorry for so many questions, just really want this to work to save space
thank you
Dennis
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

I would love to see a picture! I'm in the process of installing a 3rd row seat in a 2014JK and need to move the 2014 alpine sub for the Teraflex 3rd row bracket. The wiring of the 2015 alpine floor sub to the 2014 is exactly what I'm struggling with at the moment.

Quick Reply: 2014 JKU OEM Alpine subwoofer wiring question