Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2015: I want remote start

Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2015: I want remote start

My 2015 meets the criteria for the stock MOPAR remote start system. The stock system appeals to me because I don't have to carry an extra fob, but instead, the start button is integrated in the key.

BUT... after lots and lots of reading, it appears as if the two keys that currently start my Jeep are linked to the module that I will end up replacing. Anyone know if this is/isn't the case? If so, and if I wanted to install the system myself, it looks like I FIRST need to have the dealership add the XBM sales code to my Jeep, THEN I install the new system, THEN I have to have them program my two new keys??? Seems like more nuisance than it is worth for a self-install.

I know that I can program new keys myself so long as I already have two working keys, but this system looks to me like my old keys will no longer work.

Anyone been down this road already that can enlighten me? I've looked at aftermarket systems, and I know the range is greater, but that's not my concern. I am only interested in the MOPAR system at this time.

Help?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-25-2015, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on eBay for jeep jk remote start. I had a similar plug and play kit on my Ram 1500 and it worked great. It was very easy to install, and it uses your factory key fobs.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by any4xx
My 2015 meets the criteria for the stock MOPAR remote start system. The stock system appeals to me because I don't have to carry an extra fob, but instead, the start button is integrated in the key.

BUT... after lots and lots of reading, it appears as if the two keys that currently start my Jeep are linked to the module that I will end up replacing. Anyone know if this is/isn't the case? If so, and if I wanted to install the system myself, it looks like I FIRST need to have the dealership add the XBM sales code to my Jeep, THEN I install the new system, THEN I have to have them program my two new keys??? Seems like more nuisance than it is worth for a self-install.

I know that I can program new keys myself so long as I already have two working keys, but this system looks to me like my old keys will no longer work.

Anyone been down this road already that can enlighten me? I've looked at aftermarket systems, and I know the range is greater, but that's not my concern. I am only interested in the MOPAR system at this time.

Help?

Thanks,
Tom

I had remote start installed in my 2015 JKUR HR and I was told that starting for 2015 the original keys couldn't be programmed with the remote start module, so the old non remote start keys cant even be programmed at all. So if you installed it yourself I'm not sure how you'd get it to the dealer to program the new keys. HTH
Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
I had remote start installed in my 2015 JKUR HR and I was told that starting for 2015 the original keys couldn't be programmed with the remote start module, so the old non remote start keys cant even be programmed at all. So if you installed it yourself I'm not sure how you'd get it to the dealer to program the new keys. HTH
Yeah... That's what I was coming up with. The MOPAR system seems like it's now a three-step process: Program vehicle for new module. Install hardware. Program new keys and activate.

Not looking like a DIY "kit" any longer.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by POLARIS PRO
Do a search on eBay for jeep jk remote start. I had a similar plug and play kit on my Ram 1500 and it worked great. It was very easy to install, and it uses your factory key fobs.
All that comes up with is the same MOPAR system. But thank you for the suggestion. I'll keep looking.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by POLARIS PRO
http://www.amazon.com/WRANGLER-2007-...r+remote+start

Is this what you have?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I considered the factory option as well. But for the cost of the remote start, and what a dealer will charge you to cut the replacement keys and flash the system, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I installed one similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

I wish it had a little better range, but it's better than the factory solution. The little extra dangly thing on my key chain is not even noticeable.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by any4xx
Not exactly, but very similar. It just plugs in between the ignition module and key switch. I found some on eBay for approx. $125. I actually bought mine used, and it worked perfect. They program it before they send it. It is a very simple install. You just take the ignition plug off, and the module plugs in between.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

The dealer has told me they cant install a remote start in my 2015 JK because it doesnt have power door locks. Anyone had any luck installing remote start in a JK with manual door locks?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaronray32
The dealer has told me they cant install a remote start in my 2015 JK because it doesnt have power door locks. Anyone had any luck installing remote start in a JK with manual door locks?
I believe that you are destined for aftermarket without the power door locks. Honestly, the aftermarket systems have much greater range, and some even allow you to start via a phone app. But you are not going to be able to start with the stock key buttons. Unless, of course, you opt for a system like the above which allows you to start with three pushes of the lock button. I'm still intrigued by that system.

Quick Reply: 2015: I want remote start