Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2017 Jeep JKU Feeding Wire Through Firewall?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Jeep JKU Feeding Wire Through Firewall?

Hey guys,

I'm wiring up a Rigid Industries 20" light bar to the front bumper, and I was wondering where the easiest place to come through the firewall is. The switch will most likely be on the driver's side somewhere within easy reach. Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

There should be a couple rubber grommets on the driver's side, close to where the brake booster is. That is the most simple spot. Once pushing them through in to the cab, you should be able to look up under the dash and see them coming out. The driver's side is a cakewalk compared to the passenger side.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2017 Jeep JKU Feeding Wire Through Firewall? reply

So I have a 2015 2 door and I just did this last weekend. I found a grommet next to the Master Cylinder. I used my pocket knife ind poked it into the grommet making a slit, then used a wire coat hanger for the initial fishing. I puller the panel off the driver side of the dash and was able to retrieve the coat hanger. I ran all my wiring through that. As a good idea, I pulled a heavy gauge solid wire in with my bundle and left it so I have pull string each time. Just remember to leave it in there.

I used this Grommet. I have several wires going into this.

This is the access panel. I used a putty knife to make access easy.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciated the response to me on this same topic last week. It made it much easier, once I figured out the access panel.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Not sure if 2017 is the same as 2012, but in the 2012 there is a place on driver side where the tube runs to bring the washer fluid to the rear of the Jeep. I used that location to push the wires through for a trailer brake controller.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome guys...I really appreciate the help.

Chris
Old 01-03-2019, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

I got the light bar wired up to the Rigid switch using their harness last night. The light output is pretty impressive for only a 20" bar.

Chris
Old 01-03-2019, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Lot of people will argue that cheap Chinese LEDs are good enough, but there's huge differences when it comes to lighting IMO. Rigid puts out great products, both in quality of light output and the fit & finish of the casing.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I know there's quite a bit of discussion on them. I have another rigid that has the built-in gopro mount on my Polaris Ranger, but other than that I have nothing to compare them to. Brands and models seem to be a dime a dozen on these Light bars, that's for sure. Rigid are definitely spendy, to say the least. The one thing I would say is that their instructions are marginal at best, unfortunately. I'm the furthest thing from an electrician, so a little more detail and pics would be very helpful for a newbie. Ideally, I'd like for it to come on with my high beams, then flick the switch off if I didn't want them on with the high beams. But, Rigid was no help in telling me how to do that.

Chris
Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ravencr
Ideally, I'd like for it to come on with my high beams, then flick the switch off if I didn't want them on with the high beams.
I could see there being potential liability issues if a manufacturer instructed you on how to wire "offroad only" non-DOT approved lights to your DOT approved headlights. I'd imagine someone out there has done this, so you might be able to dig up some pointers. I'd think it would be very similar to hooking up some LEDs to the reverse lights in the rear (you could search instructions for that if you can't find anyone addressing the headlights). Probably includes tapping the high beam wire in your factory headlight wiring loom. You might have to add some sort of anti-flicker to the LED bar so that it plays nice with the CANbus or else it would most likely flash periodically.

Quick Reply: 2017 Jeep JKU Feeding Wire Through Firewall?