Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

3rd brake light

Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light

Who moved the 3rd brake light when you put a tire carrier on? How did you run the wiring? Pics would be good... just looking to see how everyone ran their wires or brake like position.. thanks
Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the TF hinge and carrier. I used the extension to lift the 3rd brake light up to clear the tire. The wire will reach. I just took this picture yesterday while test fitting a rear camera/3rd brake light piece I've been developing. When it's ready I'll just reroute the stock wire. I'm assuming if you did a bumper mounted swing away tire carrier some lengthening of that brake light wire might be involved. You can also pull it back through the tailgate into the rear fender behind the taillight and then go anywhere you want with it, likely out down by the frame rail to come up inside the rear bumper. I rerouted all my rear wiring through the fenders and there is plenty of room back there and lots of options depending on your setup.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I ditched the 3rd brake light altogether and went to Lowe's, picked up a trailer LED light and installed it on the hardtop (my hardtop never comes off).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170414_133322.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	670732

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light