Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

50” light bar question...

Old 10-14-2017, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50” light bar question...

So I’ve tried to find this answer previously and I couldn’t find the right answer... I know I know not another question about lights or what have you. However. I just purchased the bracket for a 50 inch bar.. I’m looking at buying the 50 inch KC Hilites 338 C50 bar, dual row with a spot/flood combo pattern... my question to everyone is... does the flood part of the bar reflect back into the cab? Should I go with a bar that is strictly spot pattern? Or will the combo be fine?
I am blind already as it is. I just replaced my headlights with LEDs and it isn’t enough on some of these dark back roads, dirt roads, trails, etc.. so what do you guys recommend?
Thanks in advance...
Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it will not. 90% plus of all 50" light bars are the combo ones.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so here’s my next question, the mounting bracket for this 50 inch bar has two tabs for auxiliary lights at the bottom... should I run spot lights or flood lights there?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is up to you, but with a 50" light bar, you will not see them. It will be like lighting a candle during the day.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I agree with above comments. I would note that 50" will give you a bit of a glare on your hood, but it won't reflect back in to the cab or anything. If you did add some smaller pods on the lower additional mounts, I'd go either a diffused or flood pattern and aim them more to the side for extra lighting there. If you point them forward, even the cheapest chinese 50" will wash em out. The one exception would be if you have different uses for that lighting and wire them separately.

I'm much rather have some quality pods on the front and a-pillar than a 50" myself.

Quick Reply: 50” light bar question...