Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

6" KC Slim Lights

Old 10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6" KC Slim Lights

I'm going to attemp the install myself. I know that I need to get the window bracets what else is needed?

Anyone want to give me some advice?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you got the kit, nothing more is needed all the wiring etc. is in the box.

Edit:
some zip ties and a length or two of wireloom might be nice if you like to make things neat.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-30-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Carefully plan where you want your switches, Types of switches If you have a stick shift, You dont want them to turn off when you are in your forward gears ie... 1st 3rd and 5th gears, How many total lights evetually, would you like, Placement of your relay switches, or do you want to go with a different type of relay. Believe me you'll get the hang of it quickly. Go to meet and greets and get some ideas. Ask around here ask for pix too.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtstratton
I'm going to attemp the install myself. I know that I need to get the window bracets what else is needed?

Anyone want to give me some advice?

The install was easier than I thought it was going to be... Take your time and it will come out great! The instructions are relatively easy to follow and definitely ask questions if you aren't sure about anything...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have an automatic or standard??? It can be tricky getting the wiring into the standards cab due to a metal firewall on the drivers side....You can go through on the passanger side under the glove box but you need to wrap all the wires really well with electrical tape in order to squeeze them through....

Good luck with the install and if you encounter any problems hit up the forum and just ask....there's tons of guys and girls here that can help!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a manual and there is a hole that is filled with foam that goes through... I took a hanger and poked from the inside of the cabin out through the firewall.. There is one of these holes on their side... Many people have used these holes and I'm sure with a quick search, you can find pics to get the location...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Passenger side hole as mentioned:

There's one on the driver's side too.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have space lay the wiring harness out on the ground first to understand where it is all set to go.

This helped me alot with the wiring.

And have some wiring conduit, black tape, and black zip ties to make it all pretty.

Plan your wire routes carefully so you only have to do it once.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

I mounted a set of KC slim lights on my TJ a few years back. Went much quicker then I thought it was going to be. The longest part was figuring out where I wanted the switch. (ie cut a hold in the dash) Once I figured that out and cut the hole the rest is pretty simple with the instructions that they give you. Good luck, and lets see a pic when your done.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzHog
I've got a manual and there is a hole that is filled with foam that goes through...
That's what I used, and I then mounted the switch right above the speaker. Here's a great picture from Voodoo (without the switch):

Voodoo's Image of Hole Location

Quick Reply: 6" KC Slim Lights