Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

7" Cibie+wiring harness = H4 bulbs burning quickly?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7" Cibie+wiring harness = H4 bulbs burning quickly?

Hey All,

I picked up the Cibie replacement kit from Daniel Stern lighting (7" Cibies, wiring harness with relays and Osram H4 Plus 50 bulbs).

I've had the kit for about a year now and the Osram's have long burnt out and my third set of H4's are starting to go (one light is out). I've been trying different brands with different intensities with the same results....

I don't have a daytime running light kit installed (procal or otherwise), so these lights are on whenever I'm driving, the high beams automatically come on when the lights are off (standard DRL setup) and I've gotten in to the habit using my low beams during the day so I'm not blinding everyone.

I'm going to bite the bullet and pickup a procal module and switch the DRL to the fogs, that should help....but it just seems odd that these lights are burning out so quickly, should I expect H4 bulbs to last as long as the stock H13 bulbs?

Is there something I should look for that might contribute to short bulb life?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same set-up that you do minus the DRL's. I have about 11 months on the bulbs and had the first on give out on me last week (osram 75/60's). I would think that the DRL's are killing your bulb life.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too noticed shortened life with the H4 bulbs in the Cibie's.

I have a ProCAL and switched my DRL mode to European, which means the headlights are at low and all marker lights are on.

Given the improved light output, I am willing to put up with changing the bulbs once a year or so.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Make sure the ground connection is solid, I'm not sure what takes place in your actual conversion. Also make sure you aren't touching the bulbs and they aren't vibrating in the housing. I've used H4s just fine for quite a long time.
+1Can not stress how important it is to not touch the bulbs while installing them. If you do, wipe them off with rubbing alcohol. Also, if you wheel quite a bit, or live on a dirt road you can expect shorter life, especially if your lights are loose.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bulb life

Ive used cibi'e lights on my dirt bikes & trucks sense 1983 , the 7" 55/60 lights In my jk came out of an 77 f100 and have approximately 12yrs of almost Daley use, Installed them In the jk 10 mouths ago,I have a set of 80/100's to put in this mouth don't have DRL ,turn them on myself. I made the wire harness, 10g from bat. to really 12g from relay to bulbs, cut the h13 off the driver side & let passenger hang (taped to seal it ) grounded the h4's to the body, Didn't use the h13 ground , [B] make sure lights are OFF at engine start,the lights will DIM and add to early burn out.. [B] dumb question what's a Procal ??

Last edited by tazzdogsocal; 10-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV Procal unit allows you to reprogram various computer settings, namely the daytime running light config, low tire pressure warning, adjust idle settings, etc....

I'm pretty careful when handling these lights, thats not the issue.....

I'm going to double check my grounds and connections, maybe I'll find a lose connection?

The wiring kit from Stern draws power from the factory light connection to activate a set of relays, the Cibies are drawing power direct from the battery/alternator. The entire kit is pretty high quality and allows you to continue to use the factory light controls (stick on the steering wheel).

I'll let you guys know if I find anything.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I strongly suggest to make sure light are off at start up
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

In February 2009, I e-mailed to Daniel Stern the following:

I purchased from you a year ago a set of Wipac headlights and wiring harness for a 2008 Jeep JK Wrangler. I bought the 85/80 Osram Plus bulbs. I remember you telling me that the bulbs would likely last about a year. I have already changed the driver side bulb 3 times and the passenger side twice. I have only had the headlights for 12 months.
His reply:

Yeah…the Osram 85/80w bulb has proved to be rather short-lived. Probably a push a little too far on the filament luminance increase over standard. They work well while they last, but they do tend to die relatively quickly. You'll have somewhat longer lifespan and approximately equal light output with the Narva 100/90w bulb. The Osram 70/65w is also an excellent choice for street usage, and has substantially longer life than the 85/80w.
I subsequently purchased the Narva 100/90 in February 2009 and just had one of them go out last week. They lasted 19 months. Much better than the Osrams.

Get yourself a set of the Narvas and you'll be happy wth them. I bought them from candlepower dot com for like $20/each. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

I purchased the Daniel Stern kit for my 2011 2-door Sport...

Here is a really dumb question -- Step #6 on his instructions reads, "Route H13 Male Trigger connector from Upgrade Harness to factory H13 female connector on passenger side & plug together"

I know which plug on the Upgrade Harness, but where in my engine compartment is the "factory H13 female connector on passenger side" -- ??? I am a moron and I need a picture...

Also what do I do with the factory plug/connector going into the back of the factory headlamps? Leave them dangling or tape them off or cut them off?

You can flame me at will, but I want to get it right and need advise from the experts...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dano0726
Here is a really dumb question -- Step #6 on his instructions reads, "Route H13 Male Trigger connector from Upgrade Harness to factory H13 female connector on passenger side & plug together"

I know which plug on the Upgrade Harness, but where in my engine compartment is the "factory H13 female connector on passenger side" -- ??? I am a moron and I need a picture...

Also what do I do with the factory plug/connector going into the back of the factory headlamps? Leave them dangling or tape them off or cut them off?

You can flame me at will, but I want to get it right and need advise from the experts...
I believe they mean for you to use the pass side headlight connector to connect with the end of the harness that came with the kit. You would then tape over or seal in a baggy the connector off of the drivers side that is no longer used.

Quick Reply: 7" Cibie+wiring harness = H4 bulbs burning quickly?