Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

7" Touchscreen Head Unit on 2008 JK

Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
I have the Eclipse AVN-6620, it has bluetooth, ipod, dvd, backup camera, and side view camera functionality (they are all addons that are purchased seperately from the main HU, but are made by Eclipse)... if it was me I wouldn't touch that eBay ad.
I looked at the Eclipse AVN-6620 and I am impressed. Do you need a double din adapter bracket for the JK?

Meaning this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220375062733

And did you have to get the Metra XSVI-6522 harness? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-METRA-XSVI-6...3A1%7C294%3A50

I'm looking into the Eclipse AVN-6620 with the PAC Steering wheel adapter, Ipod connector, and a backup camera for $500. Then a speaker upgrade.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a nice unit. I had an avn 5435 in my tj which is very similar. I acutally told someone just yesterday to buy this unit for his saturn, and he did. It does not have a hard drive, but it has the mad on dvd and the unit has 2 dvd drives. so you do not have to take the map disk out to play a movie. I think it has a memory card slot for mp3s, and you can put a ton of songs on a DVD and leave itin the other drive. Plus eclips is real ez to make play video and have data entry while in motion. I saw them on ebay for under 700 with parrot BT kits.

You will need a double din adapter, but they are cheap. All it is, is two little plastic tabs to fill the space on either side of the unit. You may have to hack a little on the inside of the dash, but not much. There are some write ups about it on here.

I say go for it! That is a good company, and a nice unit. Amazing price. The new hard drive eclipse is 2 grand.

do you have the infinity system now?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
that is a nice unit. I had an avn 5435 in my tj which is very similar. I acutally told someone just yesterday to buy this unit for his saturn, and he did. It does not have a hard drive, but it has the mad on dvd and the unit has 2 dvd drives. so you do not have to take the map disk out to play a movie. I think it has a memory card slot for mp3s, and you can put a ton of songs on a DVD and leave itin the other drive. Plus eclips is real ez to make play video and have data entry while in motion. I saw them on ebay for under 700 with parrot BT kits.

You will need a double din adapter, but they are cheap. All it is, is two little plastic tabs to fill the space on either side of the unit. You may have to hack a little on the inside of the dash, but not much. There are some write ups about it on here.

I say go for it! That is a good company, and a nice unit. Amazing price. The new hard drive eclipse is 2 grand.

do you have the infinity system now?

No, I don't have the infinity system. Just basic stock. I bought the double din adapters already. I don't understand where the sub is in the car. Is it in the dash? My '04 had it in the middle console and I took it out and but a much stronger one in. I would have to look around to see what people have done with their subs. I really don't want to put something in the back. I finally have a trunk in my jeep and need as much space as I can get.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waikoah
No, I don't have the infinity system. Just basic stock. I bought the double din adapters already. I don't understand where the sub is in the car. Is it in the dash? My '04 had it in the middle console and I took it out and but a much stronger one in. I would have to look around to see what people have done with their subs. I really don't want to put something in the back. I finally have a trunk in my jeep and need as much space as I can get.
the sub is only on the infinity system. The amp (on the infinity system only) is under the steering wheel in the dash. If you dont have the infinity system, then you don't have the 5 channel amp or sub. If you buy that eclipse head unit, it has built in high/low pass crossovers, and pretty good sound processing. It even has decent power (for a head unit). Do you have the 2 door or 4 door? If you have the 4 door, you could place a sub under your rear seat. I have 2 door, and I have had 3 sub enclosures since I bought my jeep just over a year ago. Currently I have a factory enclosure loaded with a fosgate P3 9" sub. There are a few 5 channel amps on the market that will fit in that factory location in the dash if you want to upgrade. DO NOT but the infinity amp from a jk used or whatever. Your jeep does not have the wires in it to hook it up, and it would be very difficult to install and the dealer would have to flash the computer.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me as well. I am no expert, but I have been messing with car audio/video since mid 90s.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am getting ready to replace my HU and saw on here that the METRA XSVI-6522 will work with connecting the HU. I tried to order one through crutchfield at the same time I was going to order the antenna adapter and mounting bracket and they told me the METRA wouldn't work and I should go with the PAC's C2R-CHY4 which runs $129 . I saw here and on other forums that the METRA should work. So should I be concerned if I buy the METRA harness or go with it and don't worry about it?

Just need a little confirmation before I buy the harness and of course I figured I could get that here.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

I bought mine from crutchfield and they supplied all the adapters for free and the harness for half price. The only hard part about the install is fitting all the wires in that little hole when you're done. You will also need to use a sawzall or sometype of cutting device to cutout part of the bracket so that the top of the unit will fit in.

The Eclipse unit is nice also because you can just ground the parking brake wire and watch video. The built in GPS works really well too.

Quick Reply: 7" Touchscreen Head Unit on 2008 JK