Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ACC (Ignition Out) vs. Remote Out

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC (Ignition Out) vs. Remote Out

What is the difference between ACC & Remote Out
I purchased a 12v DVD player and have a question on hooking up the power. The manual is pretty much worthless.
The power wiring harness has 4 wires.
"+12V" red
"Ground" black
"ACC(Ignition Switch)" yellow
"Remote Out" blue

+12V inline fuse to the battery
grouned near mounting location

My confusion comes with the last 2. I had planned on wiring remote to the cig lighter or a switched fuse in the fuse box with the adapter, like installing an amp. But what is ACC(ignition switch) for?
As usual, any help is always appreciated.

It is a Tview DVD4300BT (if that matters)
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe remote out is to trigger a relay, such as to turn on an amp when you turn on the dvd screen. Most amps have a remote in hookup. ACC would be so you can turn it on without the Jeep running or having the key in the run position.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

So would it work if I ran both (remote & ACC) to my cig lighter? That way they would only come on when the vehicle was running or they key was in acc position.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+12V red to a constant 12VDC connection. This maintains power whether the key is on or off. This keeps any programmed settings so you don't have to go through the set up process everytime you want to use it.

"ACC(Ignition Switch)" yellow. This turns it, and everything connected to it, on and off with the key. This is so you don't drain the battery while parked.

"Remote Out" blue. Turns on an external amp, relay to external monitor, etc. If you aren't sure, just wrap it in electrical tape or somehow isolate it so that it DOESN'T touch any other wires or metal. It has enough power to close a relay. It can't power any external loads bigger than a LED or two.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers. I'm set for the ACC wire.

Where should I run the constant 12v from? Straight from the battery with a fuse of course? The wire attached to all 4 devices is pretty puny.
I also need to power 2 LCDs, 1 RF transmitter and the original DVD player that started all of this?

Now my head is starting to hurt.

Last edited by nosmr2; 02-14-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

How puny is the wire to the original DVD?

I would suggest you get some 16AWG or bigger and run straight from the battery with a fuse as you mentioned. You seem to realize that you are going to connect more on this line so go ahead now and run 16 or bigger. That way you are ready in the future for LED lighting, CB, iPod, etc.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the best way to connect all 4 wires to the fat wire wire going to the battery?
What amp inline fuse should I use?

Originally Posted by Vernnz
How puny is the wire to the original DVD?

I would suggest you get some 16AWG or bigger and run straight from the battery with a fuse as you mentioned. You seem to realize that you are going to connect more on this line so go ahead now and run 16 or bigger. That way you are ready in the future for LED lighting, CB, iPod, etc.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

What's the best way to connect all 4 wires to the fat wire wire going to the battery?
Use a ring terminal on the battery end and put one big fuse there. On the other end install a fuse block. Go to Google and search for "12vdc auxiliary fuse block". You want to find one that has one input and 4 or 6 fuse outputs. That way you have extra circuits to add more stuff later.

What amp inline fuse should I use?
Get a calculator. Figure out everything you want to install for now. Add the amperage for everything, round up to the nearest 5 and that will be your inline fuse at the battery. For everything else Round up to the next value fuse and use that in the aux fuse block.

Below is an list of components. The second value is the rated current and the third value is the fuse to install. This is for representation only. Consult your product documentation.

DVD Rated 8 Amp Fuse 10 Amp
Monitor Rated 4 Amp Fuse 5 Amp
iPod Rated 1 Amp Fuse 1 Amp

8 + 4 + 1 = 13. Install a 15 Amp "Master Fuse" at the battery. Then install the smaller fuses in the block.

Yes, this is a "double fused" circuit. The fuse block will protect the individual devices. The fuse at the battery will protect the main wire to the fuse block if it contacts a ground. The battery fuse will open and deenergize the entire circuit before flames can erupt.

If you add more later just upgrade the battery fuse as appropriate, wire to the fuse block and your done.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

thats what ive done. a 20amp fused relay to fuse box. then seperate fuses going to various accessories. works great. might be a bit extreme for what your wanting but may aswell do it so you can add other items in future.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_302.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	19316

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	19317
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

One thing I forgot to mention....This configuration will always be on, at least until the monitor or something drains the battery. Just a side note.

Quick Reply: ACC (Ignition Out) vs. Remote Out