Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding mini amp...

Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding mini amp...

So I'm looking to add a mini amp, but retain the stock subwoofer. My question is can I just cut the wires that go to the stock amp for the speakers and splice them into the new amp or is it mor complicated than that?
The following users liked this post:
NorseLife (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump because i was going to ask this same question today lol
Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I got this figured out, I cut the wires that go to the speakers on the stock amp harness. It is on the smaller plug, 8 wires total for the front and rear speakers. Didnt do anything with the tweeters because I put in coaxial speakers. I just disconnected the tweeters at the speaker. Attached is a picture of what wire controls what speaker on this plug. It is the smaller one with 16 wires on it. Once I did all that I just reconnected the original plug to the stock amp and the speakers are being driven by a mini amp.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome thank you, Its slightly ironic that you helped me with your original question.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Right lol. Keep in mind this is a very involved process. You must remove the stock amp to get access to the wiring for the amp. Removing and installing the stock amp is a huge PITA. If you have a manual you have to depress the clutch to get the amp in and out
Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Well there went my bubble. yes manual. ugh.

Oh also bestbuy told me I needed a ton of adapters to do this.... as in 4 totaling $190 worth of adapters. This sound right since you just completed it?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

The only adapter you need is for an aftermarket radio. Think mine was 130. You dont need any other adapters other than that. I have a Manual trans and it's not impossible by any means. The hardest part is getting the amp in and out.
The following users liked this post:
NorseLife (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks man, genuinely appreciate the quick responses and diagram. This was going to be my project for this weekend if time permits and you just saved me a bunch of research.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

No problem, if you run into issues post here and I'll try and help out as best I can
Old 04-10-2019, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

So I picked up a Kicker pxa300.4, I know everybody uses the Alpine KTP-445u but I had an alpine catch fire once in a car so.... bad taste in my mouth so to speak.

Should work the same, all same specs as far as I can tell except the kicker pushes 50w per channel instead of 45w.

What amp did you run and also did you cut the wires between HU to amp or amp to speakers? I keep reading the forums on this and it is such a ridiculous amount of information that counters each other. You need a PAC, you don't need a PAC, you need a LOC, it works fine without LOC.

If I can ever figure this out I will do a pictures and write up on it.

Quick Reply: Adding mini amp...