Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding mini amp...

Old 04-10-2019, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, I'm assuming you are using or going to use an aftermarket head unit. For that you need a PAC to retain steering wheel control as well as to turn on the factory amp and power the radio. You would need a LOC if you use the stock head unit. I would highly suggest changing the radio to avoid poor sound quality going to the amp. Secondly I kept the factory amp because I wanted to keep the stock sub intact and working. I cut the wires going from the 16 pin plug which goes out to the speakers. DO NOT touch the other plug there are no connections to be made there and that's what supplies power to the factory amp. If you follow the wiring diagram in the instructions that come with your new amp that tell you what wire colors control what speakers you will be fine. I know pins 8 and 16 are for the front left speakers and 7 and 15 on the factory plug are for the front right speakers and pins 4 and 12 are for the rear right and 5 and 13 are for the rear left speakers. Cut those right near where the plug connects to the amp. Cut back about 5 inches in case you ever want to revert back if you sell the car. Then make your connections and you should be all good. I'm guessing you are replacing the stock speakers? And to your last question I am using the KTP-445U. Reference that picture i sent earlier to see which wires on the factory plug are positive and negative. Also, at least in my Jeep the wires in the front enclosures are Green and black. Green is negative. In the rear sound bar they are black and white and the white wire is the negative.

Last edited by Jkwrangler89; 04-10-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HU will be replaced eventually.

I also plan on replacing the stock sub as well.

So I bought the Jeep 2 weeks ago. On the way home realized it had a blown speaker in the front passenger, Nasty pop to it. So I grabbed 2 sets of Kickers to drop in the front and roll bar. I already did the front and the factory amp struggles to maintain power to them. After a while they become distorted, when i turn the radio off all together and let it cool down it will go back to normal. I haven't done the roll bar since the amp is struggling with just the front 2.

I plan on gutting it entirely but since I just bought the Jeep (and a new house) within the last 3 weeks it needs to be a step by step process.

For the time being all I was looking to do was keep the stock subwoofer, and push power to Kickers with a mini amp for about a month until my cash flow frees up a little to do the rest of the system the way I want it.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock amp is designed to run 2 ohm speakers. It's not that it cant handle the new speakers its that its not designed for 4 ohm speakers. Running 4 ohm speakers on that amp will blow them fairly quickly. Your best bet is to install the mini amp and LOC since you have the stock radio. I cant help you much with the LOC as I've never installed one. I always replace the head unit so I have pre amp outs.

Quick Reply: Adding mini amp...