Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Key fob stopped working tonight, looking for some help

Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob stopped working tonight, looking for some help

I just had a new problem with my '08 Jk. All of a sudden my key fob does not work, no door lock operation or remote smart. I was hoping it was the key fob battery, but after having the same issue with my spare set of keys, I've determined it is something else. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, but still the same problem. Any one have a similar problem or know what it could be?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Checked the fuse?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your spare work? Did you replace the Battery in the spare?

Have you washed or has the interior gotten wet inside the JK lately? Have you changed modified or added any wiring to the JK lately?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by billsimcox
Checked the fuse?
I was getting ready to check the fuse this morning when I got to work, but the stupid thing started working again.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Key fob acting crazy

My key fob stopped working yersterday when I got home. I could not lock, unlock or remote start my Jeep with either set of keys. I thought maybe it was a fuse, but when I got to work this morning everything was working fine. It worked all day, until I got home. For some reason it will not work at my house, but I can drive it down the block and it starts working again. I have no idea what could be causing this to happen. Anyone heard of this happening or have any ideas? Any way to reprogram the fob?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spalmer114
My key fob stopped working yersterday when I got home. I could not lock, unlock or remote start my Jeep with either set of keys. I thought maybe it was a fuse, but when I got to work this morning everything was working fine. It worked all day, until I got home. For some reason it will not work at my house, but I can drive it down the block and it starts working again. I have no idea what could be causing this to happen. Anyone heard of this happening or have any ideas? Any way to reprogram the fob?
What year is your jeep? I have an 09 and this happens to me too. If you search the forum there are some threads on it. Take it to the dealer and give them the specific error posted on the forum and they will replace. Would pull up link for you, but on my phone. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by slackr
What year is your jeep? I have an 09 and this happens to me too. If you search the forum there are some threads on it. Take it to the dealer and give them the specific error posted on the forum and they will replace. Would pull up link for you, but on my phone. Good luck!
Mine is an '08 and unfortunately it is out of warranty. I will do some more searching and see what I can come up with. Hopefully it isn't an expensive fix. Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Both of mine started to act up a couple of weeks ago and changing the batteries helped,but a couple of days later the Jeep battery died and would no longer hold a charge. It was probably the Jeep battery all the time.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

These 2 threads were merged.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RUBIMAN07
I had one go out last week. Intermittent key fob error is what the dealer said. Cut and programmed new key. No more problems.....
It's just odd that both of mine went out at the exact same time and the fact that they work everywhere except in my driveway. I'm starting to think their is some sort of interferance at my house that is disrupting the signal. It's starting to drive me crazy!! lol

I replaced the battery in both fobs today and had the battery in the Jk checked and it was fine.

Quick Reply: Key fob stopped working tonight, looking for some help