Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding Stock amp question

Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Stock amp question

First off let me say I am no good in the stereo dept... so I apologize in advance....

I got my X model JK with just the basic CD player.... no sub and no amp..... I then replaced the basic CD player with a MyGig that I got for a good deal. ...

Now there is a guy selling a stock amp and the harness...... (Yes I have read about the Nitro Amps)

If I buy this he states the harness will just plug into the MyGig from the amp. Guess my question is this.... fine..... but what do I plug the Amp into.... to get power to the amp and such..... Should i already have the set up for it even tho the Jeep didnt come with the amp?

Any help would be great..... i know there have been some on here that have switched them in and out.......

Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would imagine the wiring for the system is already in place as otherwise DC would need seperate wire harnesses for each stereo system which seems counter intuitive.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
I would imagine the wiring for the system is already in place as otherwise DC would need seperate wire harnesses for each stereo system which seems counter intuitive.
Actually the wires aren't there to the amp.
(I think. I need to convince someone I work with who has a JK without the infinity setup to let me take a look. I've been failing at that, and now the weather sucks.)

Sorry.
That said, if it's nice on Monday, he did say we could take a look and I can let you know then.
(He wants to go aftermarket, and we were wondering what wires WERE back there.)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'09 X 2-door with single disc, 6 speaker, non-Infinity, Sirius stereo. I was under the steering column two weekends ago.

I do not think the wiring harness for the amp is there because...
1. There were NO extra wiring harnesses under the steering wheel.
2. All speakers were driven straight from the H/U. All were indentifiable by small printing on each wire.
3. For now I have speaker wire run from an aftermarket amp to the dash and splicing into the factory rollbar speaker wires. Later I will put in the permanent speaker wire from the amp to the rollbar.
4. I used the Metra wiring harness and initialized it when first powered on. I have no H/U codes or speaker codes.

hscrugby: If you have Yahoo! Messenger or MSN or AIM, send me a PM. I can take my laptop to the garage and use a USB cam if you want to have a look.

Last edited by Vernnz; 03-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding Stock amp question