Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Advice or tips on sound quality?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice or tips on sound quality?

I picked up a 2015 JKU Sport S a few weeks ago. The previous owner installed a nice aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVH-4100NEX), but my build sheet states that it originally had a Radio 130 from the factory. My assumption is that the Jeep still has the factory speakers. I've owned both a JK and another JKU in the past, both older than this 2015 and both with factory head units. However, I can't seem to get any good sound quality out of this system. The low and low-mid frequencies seem very quiet. When I try to increase those frequencies with the head unit's EQ, the overall sound quality gets very "muddy" and sounds even worse.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to improve my JKU's sound quality? The sound quality is bad enough that I'm wondering if some part of the system is not functioning correctly or if there was an installation error that may sound familiar to forum members? Perhaps there is a commonly-known EQ curve that could help with sound quality? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have the stock speakers still go to crutchfield and get some new speakers I am running Polk audio speakers in mine with a clairion head unit and amp and they have more than enough power even with the top down.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Is the consensus just that the OEM speakers are really that bad? I'm not as concerned with overall power/volume; I'd just like to get half-way decent sound quality from the stereo. Did your replacement speakers greatly improve sound quality?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff it up

Even with aftermarket speakers, the plastic soundbar is not a great speaker housing. If you remove the rear speakers (which you'll have to do to check them anyway), you can shove polyfil batting into the air voids inboard and outboard of the speaker. The change is amazing. Less rattles/buzzes and deeper bass.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep the stock speakers are paper crap and will distort at half volume.So buy some good ones and yes stuff a little poly pillow fill in the box first or some foam padding will work also there are a bunch of threads on here that will help you do a search . The reason I said call crutchfield and tell them what equipment you have and they can help you pick out the right speakers that will sound good with the equipment you have and will fit in the jeep
Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

I've got some poll audio speakers in my jeep as well powered by a alpine pdx 5 amp that fits perfectly in the back cargo area underneath the cargo mat. I also have the same head unit as you.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Your running into a common problem with Jeeps. A lot of people try to put a bandaid on the sounds system and don't think through the entire system to make it sound better (like the last guy who had your Jeep). Most swap out the speakers only to find they are severely under powered. Some replace the head unit, but again, it is under powered and pushing crappy speakers usually without a subwoofer. You are lucky, you have the beginning of a really good system with the NEX 4100 you just need to replace a lot of other stuff. You can spend as much as you want to do it, or there are some cost effective choices as well.

The polk audio speakers that others have suggested are a good choice and sound pretty good, the problem is they are power hungry. There are a lot of other speakers that cost more but they share the same problem, they like power, and the 15 watts the head unit puts our isn't enough. I know the specs say it does more than that, but trust me, it doesn't.

For an amp or amps you can spend as much as you like. There are great solutions from Alpine, Rockford, JL, lots of others. You can chose 4 channel, mono for the subs or even a 5 channel. A great choice in the budget range and sounds great with the Polks is the Precision Power P900.5. it will do an ACTUAL 70w x 4 plus 440w for the sub. You can find it for less than $200 on Amazon. All the other companies I mentioned before make 5 channel amps but they cost more, sometimes double for similar features.

Subwoofer - maybe the most important addition when you are trying to get great sound. Again it needs power like the amps above are able to do. You can build a cheap box and put it in the back of the Jeep. Problem is, it is a magnet for thieves and it takes up a ton of room. A couple years ago we started making enclosures that will go under the front seats and hold a 10" sub. By putting them up front, they are stealth (you cant see them with the top off), The put out a ton of bass and you can hear and feel them with the top off. Here is what we made - I have these in my Jeep, 2 10" subs powered by 1200w. It makes for a pretty good sound system in a really crappy acoustic environment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IZxM0yl.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	675277

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Underseat Sub

I would really like to go the underseat sub route. Unfortunately, I have a 2 door and haven't been able to find an underseat sub available for the 2 door. Apparently they have different brackets underneath the seats. Does anyone know of a way to get subs under the seats in a 2 door? I'm looking at the JL Stealthbox, but would love to avoid spending 700.

Quick Reply: Advice or tips on sound quality?