Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket head unit-how to keep Bluetooth and steering wheel controls?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other folks have insight here?

I have factory Sirius, Uconnect, steering wheel controls, and a USB port in the console. (2012 w/ infinity).

Anyone been able to install an aftermarket HU and keep all these functions?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Any other folks have insight here? I have factory Sirius, Uconnect, steering wheel controls, and a USB port in the console. (2012 w/ infinity). Anyone been able to install an aftermarket HU and keep all these functions?
there is a unit available that is compatible with the controls. It sells for around $1050. Ken wood perhaps? Uses garmin. I believe quadratec carries it.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out Crutchfield. They have everything you need and have a great tech support department.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by all4wheels
check out Crutchfield. They have everything you need and have a great tech support department.
I've spoke with a Crutchfield rep and they said I'd have to use the new mic that came with the new HU, wouldn't likely be able to use the existing Sirius antenna, and the USB in the console won't work. That's all around lame.

Makes me with I didn't but the Uconnect at all since it's tied into such a weak audio system.

Still surprised no one has done this before.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I found online, an interface called idatalink. Crutchfiield carries it. It allows you to use an aftermarket radio but keep all your stock stuff like Uconnect, sat radio, usb, ect. Its pretty new and has limited support or deck options that work with it though. I know Kenwood has some out now that work with it and the jeep and Pioneer and Alpine should be releasing some soon according to the website. iDatalink - Home
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't answer the OP's question but if you're looking to do the swap just to get a rear view camera, there is a much cheaper way to do it. Either get something like a lockpick or NAV-TV and use your factory headunit screen, or if you don't have that you can get something like this

Pyle - PLCM9200 - Mobile Video / Navigations - Back up Camera & Rear View Mirrors w/ Monitors

and just mount it up on your rear view mirror. bunch of different moniitors on amazon and ebay to choose from.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is a little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread. If I should, yell at me to do so.

I'd like an aftermarket stereo, single or double DIN, but I want usb on front and rear so I can hide the ipod if I have doors off. Anyone have this rig or know much about it?

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X697 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I recently installed a Kenwood double DIN. Worked quite well. Mine only has a rear USB, which is perfect as I wouldn't want the cable hanging off the front anyway. Keep the iPod in the glove box locked up. No need to touch it.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
I recently installed a Kenwood double DIN. Worked quite well. Mine only has a rear USB, which is perfect as I wouldn't want the cable hanging off the front anyway. Keep the iPod in the glove box locked up. No need to touch it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back with buying the unit and adapters?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

The Kenwood DDX771, adapters for the AM/FM antenna, an install (trim) kit, and the kit to integrate it so you keep steering wheel controls was $550 shipped from Crutchfield. Could get it cheaper, but I wanted to use Crutchfield.

If you wanted to maintain SiriusXM, another adapter is required.

If you're on a tighter budget, there are many more affordable options out there, including some double DIN options, which I felt just looked better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-107511261.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	551691  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit-how to keep Bluetooth and steering wheel controls?