Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket system advice

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket system advice

Well its time for me to ask the experts! I want to buy a system that is comparable to th mygig, Ive researched many sites for aftermarket systems and have a couple questions. It looks like the kenwood and pioneer systems are the best selling systems.

1. Is the mygig a better buy? (I have read all the posts on mygig so a detailed explanation is not required)

2. Im looking for nav, sirius sat, DVD. Do aftermarket systems have in motion capability? (watch dvd and program nav)

3. In your opiinion, what is the best bang for the buck?

I will be keeping my speakers, just looking to replace head unit. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a kenwood and love it.

Mygig is only worth it, in my eyes, if you buy a jeep brand new with it. Otherwise, i see spending your money on an Aftermarket is money better spent.

Kenwood is teamed up with garmin, so Nav is probably going to be one of the best systems you can get. Kenwoods are simple to bypass for DVD playing. Pioneers are a little more involved. Of course, you shouldn't be watching a DVD while driving anyways...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks wayland,
Will installers do the bypass? I know i shouldnt watch while driving...hell, I have a hard enough time talking while driving. Mainly for the kids on trips. Will the dvd play and nav work in conjunction with each other? Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

I had the MYGIG and hated it, too many problems and sounded terrible compared to stereos Ive had in the past. Im running the Kenwood 7100 and love it. It sounds awesome. I did add headrest monitors for the kid. I have DVD, Bluetooth, Nav, and all works while driving. The deck with all add ons is about the same as the MYGIG was. The rear monitors were only $650 extra and came with headphones. The Kenwood 7100 has dual zones, so the kids can watch DVD in the back on headphones, while we listen to Sat radio. I love it.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

That system looks awesome! I was leaning towards the mygig, but Im thinking that would be a mistake, especially since the cost is about the same. I was worried about the appearance until I seen yours, looks factory installed. Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blackjp4dr
Will installers do the bypass?

The answer to this SHOULD be no... it would be very illegal for them to do this for you...

But if you reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to do it... it is simple enough to where anyone who owns a Jeep (by definition more mechanically inclined than the typical Honda Accord owner) should be able to do on their own.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I can do it myself.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

That system looks awesome! I was leaning towards the mygig, but Im thinking that would be a mistake, especially since the cost is about the same. I was worried about the appearance until I seen yours, looks factory installed. Thanks
Look at all the problems people are having with the MYGIG. The only benefit to the MYGIG is the HDD. With the Kenwood or other decks you can use a IPOD and get the same results, even better. My buddy has the new Classic IPOD. He downloaded over 100 movies on it and over 4000 songs. The MYGIG cant hold even close to that. It cant even take movies. I really see no benefit to the MYGIG. And yes most installers will install it so you can watch movies in motion.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks wayland,
Will installers do the bypass? I know i shouldnt watch while driving...hell, I have a hard enough time talking while driving. Mainly for the kids on trips. Will the dvd play and nav work in conjunction with each other? Thanks
It'd be hard to find an installer that will bypass a head unit. Honestly, I'd be a little concerned if I found an installer willing to do it.

The kenwood is easy to bypass. It's one wire that you just ground. Pioneer, the last I heard, required you to open it up, and solder a few connections (voiding any warranty, and risking ruining an expensive unit).

As far as DVD watching goes, you're going to want to get a rear monitor. I beleive it's a federal law that you cannot have video playing anwhere in front of the driver's seat. So, you would probably be pulled over have to state your case quite often.

As far as installing goes, I'd almost recommend doing it yourself. Professional Audio shops tend to charge a lot, and I would never bring any of my vehicles to a Best Buy, Circuit City, or other chain store. The only chain store I would consider is Tweeter, but still. Installing yourself is quite easy. Crutchfield makes it even easier, with lots of step by step guides, and pretty much everything you need to put it together.

If you've never soldered before, it's really quite simple. You can go to radioshack and pick up a soldering iron, some solder, and some wire to practice on.

My kenwood has an add on garmin unit. you don't access the nav from the main menu, but instead you just change the display input.

I can play CD's and listen to the radio or MP3's while working with the NAV, so I would assume DVD's would work too. The only thing is, you wont get to see the nav beside the movie... they're two different display inputs.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kntr
Look at all the problems people are having with the MYGIG. The only benefit to the MYGIG is the HDD. With the Kenwood or other decks you can use a IPOD and get the same results, even better. My buddy has the new Classic IPOD. He downloaded over 100 movies on it and over 4000 songs. The MYGIG cant hold even close to that. It cant even take movies. I really see no benefit to the MYGIG. And yes most installers will install it so you can watch movies in motion.
x2. This is a big plus, in my opinion. With the Mygig, you're limited to the onboard hard drive (Although some other guys were hacking and replacing the HD in another thread). Also, with the onboard HD, it seems people are running into trouble with it dying.

With the iPod link (a $30 cable) you can add on pretty much as many hot swappable iPod's your wallet can allow.

Plus, you can manage all of the songs on your computer. I don't know how long it takes for MyGig to copy music to teh hard drive... but I have a lot of songs, and I'd rather do it my computer. (And if you're a commuter like me... pop out the ipod, and listen to your music/videos on the go!)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket system advice