Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Air Conditioning Sounds Bad

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Sounds Bad

Hey guys.
Anyone have any suggestions to this problem?

When my JK has been sitting for long period of time and try to start the AC after starting the engine it makes a bad sound like grinding gravel in it for just a couple of seconds then it is fine the rest of the day. I can not see anything obvious that might be wrong.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks
Russell
Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the pulley is bad, its actually a 2in one pulley, the outer spins by itself around the inner till you turn the ac on, the center is magnetized once you turn the ac on and it spins with the outer. the pulleys arent serviceable have to replace the compressor.

mine went bad form all the mud and water I go thru
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tkob1060
sounds like the pulley is bad, its actually a 2in one pulley, the outer spins by itself around the inner till you turn the ac on, the center is magnetized once you turn the ac on and it spins with the outer. the pulleys arent serviceable have to replace the compressor.

mine went bad form all the mud and water I go thru
Well That sucks...I haven't had this thing more then 8 months. First time i have used the AC
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

I have had the same problem. I have had my jeep for 2 years now and it just started this year. I don't drive it everyday, I checked to see if it is low on r-134. To my suprise It's a half pound low.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

I dont suppose a good high presure rinse would help huh?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine does the same exact thing and only has 3500 miles on it and it has been doing it since 500 miles ,just have not taken it back to the dealer yet
Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

I am taking mine in on monday ..I will let you know what they find.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

I just thought i would drop you all an up date on the AC problem...I cleaned the AC Compressor with high presure hose and it seems to sound better now, but i think i caused a problem with my EM brake lite now..LOL WTF is going on this week end?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

often the sound you are hearing is a little oil or liquid refrigerant that has made its way down into the compressor and gets pumped out when you first turn it on... typically only happens when the unit hasnt been run for a while.. or if the jeep sitting on a cooler night...

neither of my JK's have done it but then the AC never worked right in my 08 and I use it all the time in my 09 (even with the doors off) so it never settles..
-Christopher
Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikesjk
I have had the same problem. I have had my jeep for 2 years now and it just started this year. I don't drive it everyday, I checked to see if it is low on r-134. To my suprise It's a half pound low.
With all automotive A/C you should run it weekly even if only for 5 minutes or so, using your defroster will also turn it on.

Reason? The oil in the compressor will lubricate the seal so it will leak far less, also helps return the oil to the compressor if it migrates from lack of use.

Yes, especially if it is -10degF where you are.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Sounds Bad