Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Am i gonna see an improvement offroad

Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i gonna see an improvement offroad

i have 4 130w ipf long range lights on my jk and have been looking at changing my headlights to the ipf kit, i understand that i will see benefit from this kit when driving on road but am wondering if i will see any improvement in lighting when off-road and running my kc's?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't have this exact configuration, but things will depend on whether or not you have factory fogs, and how you've pointed those long range lights. Before I installed the IPF replacement lights, I had my KC off-road lights (Driving) pointed to light up just beyond my stock low beams. Below my low beams my stock fog lights illuminated things nicely. So, I got a nice, even pattern well from directly in front of the vehicle to a long ways out. I didn't have any long range lights, but I didn't feel I was "overdriving" my lighting while off-road.

Now, with the IPF replacement assemblies, I don't really need the fog lamps on when driving with the low beams on. The IPF lamps work almost (let's call it 90%) as well as the previous stock low beams and fog lights on together. So, if you don't have the fog lights, that should definitely improve illumination directly in front of your Jeep when off road. I hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I don't have this exact configuration, but things will depend on whether or not you have factory fogs, and how you've pointed those long range lights. Before I installed the IPF replacement lights, I had my KC off-road lights (Driving) pointed to light up just beyond my stock low beams. Below my low beams my stock fog lights illuminated things nicely. So, I got a nice, even pattern well from directly in front of the vehicle to a long ways out. I didn't have any long range lights, but I didn't feel I was "overdriving" my lighting while off-road.

Now, with the IPF replacement assemblies, I don't really need the fog lamps on when driving with the low beams on. The IPF lamps work almost (let's call it 90%) as well as the previous stock low beams and fog lights on together. So, if you don't have the fog lights, that should definitely improve illumination directly in front of your Jeep when off road. I hope that helps.

yea that does help, thanks - i do have the factory fogs.
think im just gonna stick with the stock setup.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jtjk
yea that does help, thanks - i do have the factory fogs.
think im just gonna stick with the stock setup.
You can, but I hope you don't think my answer encouraged that. The difference is that off-road you aren't limited by what lights you can run. Here in Oklahoma, unless you're a redneck who thinks laws are for sissies, it's illegal to run with your fogs unless it's raining, foggy, etc. The stock headlights are terrible with the low beams, and almost useless with the high beams. The IPFs are a huge improvement for highway use. My remarks were directed at what I perceived as your question: Off-road use, where lighting limits don't generally exist.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You can, but I hope you don't think my answer encouraged that. The difference is that off-road you aren't limited by what lights you can run. Here in Oklahoma, unless you're a redneck who thinks laws are for sissies, it's illegal to run with your fogs unless it's raining, foggy, etc. The stock headlights are terrible with the low beams, and almost useless with the high beams. The IPFs are a huge improvement for highway use. My remarks were directed at what I perceived as your question: Off-road use, where lighting limits don't generally exist.
As far as i understand here in California i can run my fogs along with my headlights, beyond this reason i am hesitant to change my head lights out is because i dont want to mix light colors - this may be stupid but all my lights are yellow ish and to add white headlights i feel would look weird especially when they are coupled with my factory fogs - i am not speaking about the look from outside the truck but from the view of the driver.
what do you thing ?
am i just being paranoid and avoiding dropping the 100 bucks or is this a valid thought?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jtjk
... this may be stupid but all my lights are yellow ish and to add white headlights i feel would look weird especially when they are coupled with my factory fogs ...
If you're stupid, than so am I! LOL. I too didn't care for the different look, so I never installed the light bulbs that came with the IPFs. I went to AutoZone and bought the cheapest set of Sylvania H4 bulbs--$20 for a pair. They perfectly match the factory fogs in color.

I didn't do it because I was concerned about what I'd see as driver, but because when I bought my IPFs the only bulbs available were the 'blue" ones (now "white" ones are also available). And, while they don't really light things up blue, you can see a blue reflection in the headlight assembly during the daytime and that was too ricer for me.

A few weeks back I was driving in a Jeep convoy to and from Disney, OK, and before the sun rose I drove up beside Interceptor_1972, who has the IPFs with the blue bulbs. We both agreed that my el cheapo lights appeared to light things up more than his, despite the yellow color.

So, I'm not a fan of the expensive bulbs. But, I am a fan of the IPF lamp assemblies, both because they provide better illumination of the road, and because they look like they belong on a Jeep (I expect the stock lights to have some blue ray spout out of them like some crude special effect in a 1950s sci-fi movie).

Quick Reply: Am i gonna see an improvement offroad