Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another ipad jk install but this is different.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I try not to use bondo if possible ive been out of the loop with the car audio fab for a while did it for 10 years. I forget the name of the crap i used to use. Got it from an auto supplier. It seemed to have the same consistancy as this jb weld stuff. was a bit pliable like plastic. Try to use as close of a bonding agent as the material you are working with and use it so a min. I decided to smooth out the mounting plate it should look sweet! Btw get some latex gloves and apply the jb weld with your finger once you are getting close to finished 10 times easier.

With my new found interest in fabing crap again I got a new idea and started buying parts. This is the plan. Get rid of my guage mounts on my sport cage and fab the guages and clarion radio control into that top dash piece above the cluster. I found one on ebay and got some guage pods from a 350z should be interesting. Just deciding if i should mold in a rearview monitor? right above it. i gotta lay stuff out and see how ubsurd it will look dont want it to crazy. I think tomorrow The ipad parts should be close to done. The rear of the top panel is giving me the hardest time due to it being on an angle it doesnt reach all the way back so had to fill that in. Plus the rock hard cage gotta go around that.

Anyone want a chopped up tuffy decurity radio cover that was made to fit with the rockhard cage? ill post it in the forsale tomorrow. I rivited it all together not great but it worked.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Hey bro,

When you plug your ipad in, are you 'docking' it? What I mean is, is it charging at the same time/running of the car power? So, you have unlimited battery life in it?

If so, how did you wire that up?

Thanks,

JN
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Default ok its done for now

I am pleased with the back piece not so pleased with the finish on the top so ill probably sand it down one of these days. I had a can of duplicolor bedliner laying around I figured since the whole inside it bedlined anyway why not give it a try oh well. At least its together for the week just need the rest of the electronics. BTW yes it will be charged and all of that just waiting on the wires and such. ok heres the pics of it pretty much finished.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Bought an antiglare screen film helps 100% for in the car
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.

Excuse the noob question, is there a way to get good mapping & gps on the ipad?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Hay bench the iPad 3G has a gps chip in it the others don't but if you jailbreak then you can use a Bluetooth one. There are many apps that you can use tomtom navgon copilot gpsdrive all aren't iPad native yet but still are great.

Btw i know i emailed you about my dual bat setup. My main optima yellow top went bad. No fault with your setup you still the man. I'm gonna go with two diehard platnium marines.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

it LIVES!!!! haha I have audio now. It was an absolute PITA to cut the ipad connector cord in there is NO room! They really have to make a slim connector like the sync that provides audio and power. Anyway I finally got it. Time to clean everything up and get it where it has to go. Not looking fwd to screwing with my tuffy console but it has to be done.

Last edited by mattymat04; 09-11-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

awesome work on your install, looks much better than mine, I haven't done any work on mine at all lately. With school and all, but looking to completely redo mine and ditch the holster I made and make a slimmer one mount. Great work man!!
Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Fast u r the one with the swivel mount correct? Loved that idea been following your build all the way. I'm typing from the jeep now love it! I'm sure u could expand that idea and get something really cool

Quick Reply: Another ipad jk install but this is different.