Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another ipad jk install but this is different.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattymat04
Exact reason I posted so much is so people can see my mistakes and the good stuff. I am away during the week When i get home I will post the products I use. There def good but expensive I spent over 186 on stuff to mold the pieces and for the gauges.
It's good that we both can help each other on this one, Im gonna go your route and use the otter box setup, but instead of switches I'm gonna make a lockable storage cubby for Nick nacks and sunglasses. I need to get some free time soon, and start doing more work on it but I got another project I gotta work on also which will pinch my time even more.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Is the other project jeep related? I wasn't gonna do the switches but had the extra panels laying around and I'm glad I did.

Off topic what led light bar do you have?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Is the other project jeep related? I wasn't gonna do the switches but had the extra panels laying around and I'm glad I did.

Off topic what led light bar do you have?
Not jeep related, but the sound system next month will be jeep related. I have a pair of malibu's, one is a 78 2door and other is 80 4door. The 2door is starting a frame off build, and 80 is getting new a/c and some interior work. Actually gonna be easier to do the iPad otter box in the 4door because the radio area is a perfect iPad rectangle. The 2door is a street/strip setup, so no a/c, no power stuff, only a simple radio deck for tunes if I can hear them over the side boom tubes.

As for led light bar, i had 4 6" inch led bars mounted on the inside windshield,but no longer in there since I don't do the job I needed them for, and my switch/flasher burned up

I'll link a vid of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU7SYpnYTsc&sns=em
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

can't wait till something like this goes into production.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

ok drove home from the airport 50 or so miles and with the screen dimmed the power held up fine even charged a bit. With the screen all the way up I was having a problem where the charger couldnt keep up. Now thats fine and good but we want it to be perfect is this the solution? I donno yet but we will see. ill give it props for looking sweet. BTW this is the one I am currently using Scosche reVIVE II 2 Dual USB Car Charger the pic is of the new one.

Last edited by mattymat04; 09-17-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

a bit of progress radio is finally in and the ipad fits like planned in the console too. I wired everything up gotta start guage work now. There is no way that the monitor I bought will fit up above the cluster its to huge I made it go above on the rock hard sport cage but might be to close for my likein.I also added a bit more apple goodness to the dash

Last edited by mattymat04; 09-18-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

let me know how that new charger works out. How much did that little screen run you? I would like to reconnect my back up camera also. Im thinking of setting up an Inverter for to charge my Ipad, and aswell to have some extra power incase I need to power up something else later. I already order myself an Otterbox for the Ipad, and as soon as it comes in I'll be doing my install aswell. Just curious on the center stack plastic, did you completely remove the lip that goes up from the a/c vents, and what did you use to keep the upper portion of the dash in place. Just curious on your method, and comparing to what I'll make to hold mine up.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

Yea I cut it straight across. I did it in a way that if I needed to throw some screws in it they would be hidden but there was no need. The power supply didn't work as planned. I think the iPad has to see some resistance on the line to know its a charger? Cause it didn't do a damn thing and it was all correct and pushing out power. The monitor was cheap 60$ 7" screen. I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it throwing around some other thoughts. Um I started the gauges gonna be cool I think. But everything is in and wired just cosmetic pieces now
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

Yea I cut it straight across. I did it in a way that if I needed to throw some screws in it they would be hidden but there was no need. The power supply didn't work as planned. I think the iPad has to see some resistance on the line to know its a charger? Cause it didn't do a damn thing and it was all correct and pushing out power. The monitor was cheap 60$ 7" screen. I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it throwing around some other thoughts. Um I started the gauges gonna be cool I think. But everything is in and wired just cosmetic pieces now

Yeah thats the problem with apple stuff, there are built-in resistors in oem ipod stuff, and its done honestly to keep infringement or un-licensed third party products to work. That why my sync cable with 3.5mm jack works and says charging but doesn't charge, the resistors just fool the ipad that its sending enough juice. Their are a couple 2.1amp chargers for ipads but its been a hit or miss for me. One charged great but it wouldn't allow audio to pass through the ipad dock. Im just gonna get an inverter next week, because the charger I have aint cutting it either, I just bought one today from Innocase that is 2 amps, and gonna try and see if it works, otherwise its an inverter for ipad and other purposes.

I look forward to the gauge setup, I want to do a similar thing but with one gauge when I get it.

As for the screen, I was thinking of getting a rear-view mirror with a built-in screen, but thats for later when I replace my back up camera incase I cant fix the cracked lens on mine.

Sound Man Car Audio says they are using the Griffin Powerjolt Ipad Charger. May have to ask him again incase this new charger doesn't work.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

ok ive been thinking usually gets me into trouble. What if I inline the big power supply at the usb end? of my original charger. I think the resistance is on the two data lines. That might work. Maybe ill just look into this power jolt also.

My gauges so far are coming out sweet! I doubt ill have anything worth showing till next weekend though. It has been alot harder to work around the sport cage on the left side but I have a 1/4" to spare. Im thinking ill also put two on the left side even it out.

I also found these usb ports that replace your cig lighter or fit in any 1" hole. Im gonna get rid of the ignition one and put it there. My radio has usb ipod control. That I can use for the tele in its mount probably just use it to charge it. I tryed it it works that will keep everything neat no exposed wires.

I also donno how cracked my pioneer backup cam the thing is so stupid small no idea how that happened. oh well ripped it out yesterday.

BTW 350 whats your hurst shifter about give me the info

Last edited by mattymat04; 09-19-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Another ipad jk install but this is different.