Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any windshield header 50" LED light bar mounts that don't make a ton of noise?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any windshield header 50" LED light bar mounts that don't make a ton of noise?

I see lots of 50" lightbars and hear lots of people complaining about the noise from both the light bar itself and the mounts. Does anyone have a light bar mount that doesn't make a ton of noise?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise comes form the cooling fins, you can breakup the air flow with a piece of door trim insulation type stuff and it kills the noise.

See this for help: 5 dollar 50" led light bar whistle fix - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Exactly what he said. I have the JCR mounts which are lower than any other mount out there i've seen. I was not getting any noise until I hit 60 MPH, but when it started, I would get a headache. I put 1/4 irrigation tubing between the fins every couple inches, problem solved.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Interesting. I know about the noise from the fins and how to quiet it down but I've seen many complaints about noise from the mounts themselves. I'd like to go with the Rough Country mount due to the price and reported decent quality and fit but have read lots of comments about noise from them.

I've heard good and bad about the JCR mounts (lead time, finish issues and fit issues mainly).

I'd hate to get it mounted up and be driven crazy by noise (not that my Jeep isn't noisy enough as it is).
Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get much noise with my rock slide engineering mounts. I have the bar slightly turned down a bit and it keeps the whistling to minimum and the noise isn't bad at all. There will always be wind noise, but these mounts are low and keep the bar close to the windshield.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

How's the glare with the Rock-Slide mount position?

Originally Posted by budmanm3
I don't get much noise with my rock slide engineering mounts. I have the bar slightly turned down a bit and it keeps the whistling to minimum and the noise isn't bad at all. There will always be wind noise, but these mounts are low and keep the bar close to the windshield.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
How's the glare with the Rock-Slide mount position?
In its current position there is some glare on the hood.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't mean to hijack, but has anyone done a write up on how to wire the LED light bar? I'm plenty mechanical, right up until it becomes electrical.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKnewb
Don't mean to hijack, but has anyone done a write up on how to wire the LED light bar? I'm plenty mechanical, right up until it becomes electrical.
Depending on the bar you get, many come with the wiring harnesses complete so all you need to do is plug in and connect to the battery or other power source. Only thing I had to do was swap the switch as I have the rugged ridge pillar switches. Pretty simple and I'm sure there is a writeup somewhere around the interwebs
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

I just ran a couple beads of caulk down a few of the cooling fans and mine makes hardly any noise

Quick Reply: Any windshield header 50" LED light bar mounts that don't make a ton of noise?