Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone added electronic door locks?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone added electronic door locks?

I have an X and would like to upgrade to electronic door locks. My JK came with an alarm, so I just would need the locking mechanisms. I know it was simple with the old TJ's but the guys at the dealership said they couldn't do it. I bet I could order the parts and do it myself...I was just wondering if anyone has done this?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default hmm

I looked into this myself last week. I am having an alarm put in this weekend. I am having trouble finding the website now. What the guy did is he found a kit for i want to see a ferrari or something and put it in his JK. He also convert it to power windows as well. i will look for the link and see if I can find it.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
I looked into this myself last week. I am having an alarm put in this weekend. I am having trouble finding the website now. What the guy did is he found a kit for i want to see a ferrari or something and put it in his JK. He also convert it to power windows as well. i will look for the link and see if I can find it.
Thanks...but one of the reasons I went with the X is because I didn't want power windows. I spent more hours fiddling with the power windows of my past Jeeps when they stopped working. I didn't want any electrical, that's why I went with the X vs. the Rubi. However, PL's would be nice because I'm getting sick of reaching in the back seat to let in my passengers.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default yeah

THATS EXACTLY WHY I DIDNT GET POWER WINDOWS! i am a network administrator and I can tell you first hand about how adding more complicated goodies always adds more problems as well. I only have a 2 door so its not a big deal for me. i just live in Chicago and our weather is extreme no matter what season it is and I wanted to be able to just hit a button and get in intead of fiddling with keys. I remember the kit being like $230 or so. I also didnt want anymroe wires to deal with when taking off the doors. i can justify one or 2 more for power locks, but not for power windows.

Originally Posted by mountain man
Thanks...but one of the reasons I went with the X is because I didn't want power windows. I spent more hours fiddling with the power windows of my past Jeeps when they stopped working. I didn't want any electrical, that's why I went with the X vs. the Rubi. However, PL's would be nice because I'm getting sick of reaching in the back seat to let in my passengers.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
THATS EXACTLY WHY I DIDNT GET POWER WINDOWS! i am a network administrator and I can tell you first hand about how adding more complicated goodies always adds more problems as well. I only have a 2 door so its not a big deal for me. i just live in Chicago and our weather is extreme no matter what season it is and I wanted to be able to just hit a button and get in intead of fiddling with keys. I remember the kit being like $230 or so. I also didnt want anymroe wires to deal with when taking off the doors. i can justify one or 2 more for power locks, but not for power windows.

more wires for taking off the doors? Its the same quick release connector. And you don't get the door chime when the doors are off.

(end hijack)
No, I haven't added electronic door locks, and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has either. Sorry, no help from me today
Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is absolutely no reason that the kit you used on your TJ wouldn't work on your JK. Be sure to get the kit with the solenoids with the higher rated pull to overcome the resistance of the pivoting lock. If the solenoids can pivot those stubborn lock pivots on the TJ door, then can move the JK ones. Mounting the switch may be an issue, but it can be solved with a little creativity.

I've added power locks to several vehicles for the reasons you provide. I also don't like power windows for the reasons you pointed out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quadratec has a kit now.. who knows if its in stock. but $140 isnt bad

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55016_10.htm
Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
Quadratec has a kit now.. who knows if its in stock. but $140 isnt bad

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55016_10.htm
awesome thanks!! I'll check it out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adaycj
There is absolutely no reason that the kit you used on your TJ wouldn't work on your JK. Be sure to get the kit with the solenoids with the higher rated pull to overcome the resistance of the pivoting lock. If the solenoids can pivot those stubborn lock pivots on the TJ door, then can move the JK ones. Mounting the switch may be an issue, but it can be solved with a little creativity.

I've added power locks to several vehicles for the reasons you provide. I also don't like power windows for the reasons you pointed out.
The TJ is run by a metal arm. The JK is run by a cable, so unfortunately the TJ kit won't work for the JK.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

That statement was made just from initial thought. i just assumed that adding power windows would incorporate more wires to the door for power and a switch mounted somewhere. I don't know exactly about the exact connections that could / should be made.

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo

more wires for taking off the doors? Its the same quick release connector. And you don't get the door chime when the doors are off.

(end hijack)
No, I haven't added electronic door locks, and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has either. Sorry, no help from me today

Quick Reply: Anyone added electronic door locks?