Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

For anyone that installed speakers-- please help.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For anyone that installed speakers-- please help.

I just threw in 4 Polk Audio db651's but I dont have an amp for them ( I was hoping the stock stereo would be enough to get some sound) and they sound like cheap computer speakers without an amp. Did everyone that put in speakers add an amp? Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did four of the same speakers but did a head unit at the same time. Huge difference. I would say time to upgrade the HU
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

I replaced the tweeters yesterday with Diamond Audio tweeters and they popped right in.... no mods what so ever. I couldnt believe it.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

I tried just doing the speakers first, no real difference, they are just too limited at the amp, after that I replaced everything, much better now
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igotstuck
I tried just doing the speakers first, no real difference, they are just too limited at the amp, after that I replaced everything, much better now
I agree. I changed all the speakers before anything else, and while the sound quality was better, it still lacked in volume (especially the rears.) Once I changed the Head Unit, that is when there was a noticable difference (for the better.) Still trying to decide on an amp/sub-woofer solution.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did those exact speakers first, and it made a difference but it still lacked power so I replaced the head unit, what a big difference. Im still debating if i should put an amp to them. Make sure you put poly-fil in the speaker housing, you will get better bass response.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Aftermarket Power Issue?

What kind of head units did you put in? Is it true that there needs to be a power adapter harness to adapt aftermarket headunits into the stock HU wiring? Pictures and names would be great! Thanks

Quick Reply: For anyone that installed speakers-- please help.