Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Audio Experts - Will this setup replace base stereo w/o CANBUS issues?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Audio Experts - Will this setup replace base stereo w/o CANBUS issues?

I have the base stereo with steering wheel controls...no amp, no usb. Adding usb using factory parts costs $300-$400. So I want to replace the HU with something that has usb and what the heck might as well throw an amp at it while I'm in there. I poked around Crutchfield and when it comes to adapters that is where things gets fuzzy. Maintain steering wheel controls but lose fade? I don't know but that is what it looks like to me unless I add an adapter that works with NAV and factory amp which I don't have.

I'm assuming since I don't have an amp that the oem speaker wires connect directly to my HU. (Edit: They do.) So I will have to extend the speaker connections to the amp and use RCA jacks from the HU to the amp.

Head Unit

Amazon.com : Pioneer FHX720BT Double Din Bluetooth MIXTRAX I : Car Electronics

6 volt 4 channel preamp outs, usb and Bluetooth.

Amp

Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

50W x 4 - compact size, hoping to install in factory location. Anyone have this in factory amp location? Edit: Doesn't fit stock location...too deep.

Dash Kit

Amazon.com : Metra 95-6511 Chrysler/Jeep DDIN 2007 Dash Kit : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

Amazon warns it won't fit my 14 but package says 2007 up. Is the Scosche better? I may just get both and fiddle with it. I want it to look good.

Steering Wheel Controls and EVIC Integration

Amazon.com: PAC RP4-CH11 Radiopro4 Stereo Replacement Interface for Select Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Volkswagen Vehicles: Car Electronics

HU states it has rear input for this.

Antenna

Crutchfield says I need both the adapter and extension. Extension not needed.

Amazon.com : Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics

Anything else I need? The whole setup just under $300 with free Prime shipping. Cheaper than adding factory usb. I feel like I may need another adapter to keep the CANBUS happy but not sure.

Thanks for looking and any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp.jpg
Views:	2466
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	600575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Kit.jpg
Views:	2397
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	600576   Click image for larger version

Name:	HU.jpg
Views:	2571
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	600577   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp4.jpg
Views:	2484
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	600602  

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-13-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be watching this. I'm interested to know, also.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

I used the RP4 CH11 pac interface for stereo hook up while retaining steering wheel controls. Works like a charm. Alpine HU. You may want to see how it works without an extra amp, and if unhappy look at upgrading speakers first.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by antpink
I used the RP4 CH11 pac interface for stereo hook up while retaining steering wheel controls. Works like a charm. Alpine HU. You may want to see how it works without an extra amp, and if unhappy look at upgrading speakers first.
Thanks for responding.

Do you have the factory amp? It says you lose fade ability with the factory amp. Do you know if fade still works with an aftermarket amp? If so, I can replace 2 parts with this one.

Okay, according to PAC it combines those two items I have above so I will get this instead. Thanks, antpink. I'm going to update the first post with this change.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-10-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Well I just ordered all this junk so I'll see if it works.

Now I just need to figure out how to wire it all up.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-10-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't use that little amp. Use the new headunits power to power your speakers, and if you don't like it, install new speakers.
I had the base stereo also. I installed 4 néw speakers. Sound improved dramatically! (Poly fill in soundbar too)
Then I installed a née pioneer head unit, sound improved even more!
Then I added a mono amp and sub, sound quality is now amazing.
I wouldn't mess with that 50wx4 amp unless you really want it in there. But you don't need it.
the rp4-ch11: make sure you take your time and wire everything correctly, and it plugs into "wired remote" .....NOT "aux" on the back of the new headunit.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

And yea, you won't have any can bus issues with the rp4 -ch11
Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
And yea, you won't have any can bus issues with the rp4 -ch11
I have the rp4-ch11 with my pioneer head unit. Works like a champ
Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
I wouldn't use that little amp. Use the new headunits power to power your speakers, and if you don't like it, install new speakers.
I had the base stereo also. I installed 4 néw speakers. Sound improved dramatically! (Poly fill in soundbar too)
Then I installed a née pioneer head unit, sound improved even more!
Then I added a mono amp and sub, sound quality is now amazing.
I wouldn't mess with that 50wx4 amp unless you really want it in there. But you don't need it.
the rp4-ch11: make sure you take your time and wire everything correctly, and it plugs into "wired remote" .....NOT "aux" on the back of the new headunit.
I've already replaced the sound bar speakers (and poly filled) and plan on doing the fronts if needed. I'll give the amp a shot as 50W > 18W. I'm not looking for anything fancy I just want to make some improvements and get a USB. Once everything is installed, swapping out any one component in the future will be easy. Thanks for the tip on the wired remote but this HU doesn't have a rear aux so I won't make that mistake.

My main concern is going to be wiring the rp4-11. I'm hoping the instructions are good. The ones I found on PAC's site suck. I think it's safe to assume RCAs from HU to amp. Steering wheel controls to "wired remote'.
Main OEM stereo harness to RP4. RP4 to new HU. Somewhere in there I have to redirect the speaker wires to the amp. Straight from the RP4 to OEM connector?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's a post in this section that tells you exactly what wires to connect to what if you need any help.....let me find it.

Quick Reply: Audio Experts - Will this setup replace base stereo w/o CANBUS issues?