Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Automatic headlight (mod)?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Automatic headlight (mod)?

I tried searching "automatic headlight" "auto headlight" "auto headlamp" "automatic headlamp" and no luck. In the manual I see that some model JK (assume Sahara) has one more notch down on the headlight stalk for automatic. I assume this has been asked before but I was unable to find it. If the answer is that it is too much work/cost then that is fine I can survive. If not, has someone done a writeup on it? I assume i'd have to buy a new stalk and a light sensor so it wont be too cheap. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

When I looked into there was not a JK option. So I looked at a grand Cherokee stalk. I had the parts department order one. When comparing the stalks the way they work was totally different. It was looking like a complete re-wire back to the computer and potentially some reprogramming. Maybe/hopefully something has changed, but it didn't look good when I tried it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daytime running lamps are available on all JK's. It is enabled on exports but not on domestic models. There is no easy wiring fix to enable them but it isnt hard either. You just need to turn the option on in the computer. Programmers such as the AEV Procal will allow you to do that.

(I do not know if the '11's & 12's have a switch for this. I have yet to sit in one.)
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

I have the auto headlights on my 2011 Rubicon. There is a sensor in the middle of the dash that triggers the lights.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
I have the auto headlights on my 2011 Rubicon. There is a sensor in the middle of the dash that triggers the lights.
How is the switch marked? Off/Park/Headlights? Off/Park/Auto/On?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Daytime running lamps are available on all JK's. It is enabled on exports but not on domestic models. There is no easy wiring fix to enable them but it isnt hard either. You just need to turn the option on in the computer. Programmers such as the AEV Procal will allow you to do that.
(I do not know if the '11's & 12's have a switch for this. I have yet to sit in one.)
Not looking for daytime running lamps just to turn on at night.

newbie. do you have a pic of the sensor? The picture of the stalk is in the quickstart guide that came with my jeep but not the sensor.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hombredelassrtas
not looking for daytime running lamps just to turn on at night.

Newbie. Do you have a pic of the sensor? The picture of the stalk is in the quickstart guide that came with my jeep but not the sensor.
yeah, sorry. I realized that after responding, but figured someone else may find the info useful.

Edit: Wish i could afford a '12 so I could accurately answer peoples questions.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 09-26-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

When set on 'auto' in the '12 the headlights will turn on at dusk and , if set for such, the will come on automatically when the windshield wipers are turned on. I'll shoot a photo of the stalk........

Last edited by ylojelo; 09-26-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: poor writing skillz
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ylojelo
the auto in the '12 turns on at dusk or , if you set it for suck, when the windshield wipers are on. I'll shoot a photo of the stalk........
Now that the '12s are making the scene, I might as well leave the forum, because I have no idea why they would have something you can set for "suck". (unless it's disabled when the Jeep is moving, of course!)
Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

HAHA! I will go fix that.

anyway here 'tis:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dome.jpg
Views:	2298
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	215882Click image for larger version

Name:	stalk.jpg
Views:	1735