JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Auxillary Light Switch Question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/auxillary-light-switch-question-310651/)

Mark Doiron 09-18-2014 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 3983075)
On my 2014 there are leds in the cupholders with the wiring connecting under the passenger seat so it would be easy to tap that. On the earlier models, one would have to find which wire on the connector for the instrument cluster, the radio, or the switch bar is for the lights. I'll be adding a switch for my winch solenoid this weekend and I'll see if I can find the one for the radio while I'm at it and post back here.

My sPod has the dual led switches but the lower led is activated by a push button on the spod itself. I may see if I can just replace the power to the pushbutton with a feed from my dash lights.

That's sort of what I want to do, except bypass the sPOD switch for backlighting and repurpose it for sPOD primary power. And Chief_Airborne: You're no help. ;-)

14Sport 09-18-2014 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 3983077)
That's sort of what I want to do, except bypass the sPOD switch for backlighting and repurpose it for sPOD primary power. And Chief_Airborne: You're no help. ;-)

I suspect the backlighting switch is powered from the sPod primary power already. I also want to leave the backlighting switch in the circuit in case I find the backlighting annoying during night driving with it's location high on the windshield. If not, then I'll always leave the switch in the on position.

Edit: I see what you're talking about, Mark, sometimes I'm slow on the pick-up. You want to use the pushbuttom to power another accessory. Interesting. The things you would need to watch out for would be that most leds run on 5 volts, so the switch and wiring may only be rated for that. Additionally, it may not be fused or connected to a relay.

14Sport 09-18-2014 09:24 AM

well no luck Mark. I pulled the radio and checked for a source of either 12v or 5v when the dash lights were on. No luck. I did find two pins that had 2.5v each. They are next to the large 12v constant feed wire on the left of the female connector. They are both yellow, one with a red stripe and one with a black or brown stripe, it was hard to tell.

So I'm thinking that either the stock led lighting runs on 2.5 volts (one pin feeding the led display and the other feeding the button lights) or that the two pins combined control the leds. Of course they could just be CANBUS signals that tell something in the radio to turn the leds on. It is for that reason that I didn't have the balls to combine the two pins together and attach a led for testing.

Mark Doiron 09-18-2014 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 3983078)

I suspect the backlighting switch is powered from the sPod primary power already. I also want to leave the backlighting switch in the circuit in case I find the backlighting annoying during night driving with it's location high on the windshield. If not, then I'll always leave the switch in the on position.

Edit: I see what you're talking about, Mark, sometimes I'm slow on the pick-up. You want to use the pushbuttom to power another accessory. Interesting. The things you would need to watch out for would be that most leds run on 5 volts, so the switch and wiring may only be rated for that. Additionally, it may not be fused or connected to a relay.

Not exactly another accessory, but all the sPOD accessories. Pushbutton off, all sPOD accessories are off and can't be turned on. Pushbutton on, sPOD accessories may be turned on with the individual switches.

Mark Doiron 09-18-2014 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 3983194)
well no luck Mark. I pulled the radio and checked for a source of either 12v or 5v when the dash lights were on. No luck. I did find two pins that had 2.5v each. They are next to the large 12v constant feed wire on the left of the female connector. They are both yellow, one with a red stripe and one with a black or brown stripe, it was hard to tell.

So I'm thinking that either the stock led lighting runs on 2.5 volts (one pin feeding the led display and the other feeding the button lights) or that the two pins combined control the leds. Of course they could just be CANBUS signals that tell something in the radio to turn the leds on. It is for that reason that I didn't have the balls to combine the two pins together and attach a led for testing.

Thanks. Yeah, definitely don't risk damage to something chasing this down.

14Sport 09-18-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 3983255)
Not exactly another accessory, but all the sPOD accessories. Pushbutton off, all sPOD accessories are off and can't be turned on. Pushbutton on, sPOD accessories may be turned on with the individual switches.

Gotcha. Sounds like a job for a solenoid.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 3983257)
Thanks. Yeah, definitely don't risk damage to something chasing this down.

Definitely not. Especially for me since I have an easy led tap under the seat. If someone has access to a wiring diagram for a 2014 and could trace the power feed to the cup leds to see where the factory is pulling it from, it may be an easy retrofit for the earlier models and also for a dimmable dash light circuit.

Vladimer 09-18-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 3983266)
Gotcha. Sounds like a job for a solenoid.

Definitely not. Especially for me since I have an easy led tap under the seat. If someone has access to a wiring diagram for a 2014 and could trace the power feed to the cup leds to see where the factory is pulling it from, it may be an easy retrofit for the earlier models and also for a dimmable dash light circuit.

Are you guys just looking for the dimmable circuit?

Lots of text, just do a search for the text..... Its a series of images below that
"With the plug in hand and the clip portion facing upwards, it is the second pin in from the left. "

Jeep Junkies • View topic - Vladimer'S Build Thread

14Sport 09-18-2014 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vladimer (Post 3983317)

Lots of text, just do a search for the text..... Its a series of images below that
"With the plug in hand and the clip portion facing upwards, it is the second pin in from the left. "

Thanks for that. But I don't have power windows. But that is great for the guys that do.

Mark Doiron 09-19-2014 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vladimer (Post 3983317)

I am. But on the early interior, not the 2012.

14Sport 09-19-2014 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 3983497)
I am. But on the early interior, not the 2012.

In the link he says it's the same for the 3.8.