Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Awesome deals on Polk subs

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. No idea until I upgrade the amp. I suspect not... Doubt the stock hu has enough power to push the speakers in the sound bar by itself. Also I believe everything runs through the harness, so would have to isolate. Hoping the amp upgrade can do the trick. Sub is underpowered as well w infinity amp
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RUBIMAN07
Would it be possible to upgrade the amp allowing more power to the sub and dash speakers/tweeters, then run new wire to the sound bar directly from the head u it and power speakers off the head unit?
You most definitely can if your talking about running an aftermarket amp. I run a 4 channel amp to the front speakers and sub. Ran all new wires. Also sound bar is wired to head unit with all new wires. Sound bar could not handle the amps watts anyway, sounds great now.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Do u have a aftermarket head unit? I have a TMA amp and want to put it in the jeep but I dont know if a can keep my stock head unit? I think ill have to change it. Because I need somme RCA and all
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suprseb
Do u have a aftermarket head unit? I have a TMA amp and want to put it in the jeep but I dont know if a can keep my stock head unit? I think ill have to change it. Because I need somme RCA and all
I have an aftermarket head unit but you do not need one. I don't know anything about TMA amps but what you need is a high to low level line converter. Some amps have one built in or you could buy a converter. Splice your factory speaker wires, run them to the converter, then RCA from converter to amp. Only issue is the factory amp limits signal to rears, you will only be able to pull so much out of the amp with a low signal. A new head unit goes a long way to increase signal quality and output.

If you really wanted to increase volume and clarity and keep factory head unit is is what I would do:
1. First replace all speakers, components in the front, coax in rear.
2. Get a four channel amp, run 2 channels to front components using the line level converter spliced to front speakers, run other 2 channels bridged spliced from sub.
3. Leave rears alone! Rears are used for filler anyway. They only screw up dynamics anyway. A lot of high end systems don't have rears anyway.

I was running 60 watts rms to rears but it only created problems. First it messed up the dynamics in the cabin, second the sound bar can't handle it. My sound bar is filled with expandable foam from light to speaker, dynomated, and stiffed with pollyfill, still rattled like hell. Focus on the fronts and learn from my hours of headaches from experimenting.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not been able to verufy this but from what I have read on other threads it is not the amp limiting power to the sound bar but the head unit. If I am wrong please tell me. This would save me about $250 on the HU, new radio dash kit, and harness I am looking at getting.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
I've put polk 6.5" in the front, and alpines in the sound bar... not the sub and tweates and I'm done. ALmost :-) the speaker upgrades have definitely proven the stock infinity system is total Sh*t. I'm on line a justforjeeps right now ordering the 77Kick46 amp upgrade.

I really want to keep the stock head unit (for sirius and UConnect) so hope the new amp is enough to push the sound bar and the sub properly, b/c the Infinity system is way under powered for these.
I'll tell ya this, I've got the polk components up front as well, with alpine type r's in the sound bar, 1 12" punch 3 and 3 amps....I tried staying with the oem head unit but eventually gave up. I now run an alpine and the sound is unbelievable and is perfectly clear at even deafening volume levels. Do yourself a favor and ditch the headunit!!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty6336

I'll tell ya this, I've got the polk components up front as well, with alpine type r's in the sound bar, 1 12" punch 3 and 3 amps....I tried staying with the oem head unit but eventually gave up. I now run an alpine and the sound is unbelievable and is perfectly clear at even deafening volume levels. Do yourself a favor and ditch the headunit!!
Exactly, your system is only as good as the weakest link.

The issue is between cost and reward. What we achieve within a certain budget. Build to satisfaction.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scotty6336

Yeah, that may well be next step... The kicker amp upgrade will be in this weekend... Next step will be new hu - cool thing will be a compatible harness from crutchfield! :-)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

You guys bought a water resistant HU?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by suprseb
You guys bought a water resistant HU?
Nope. (10 char)

Quick Reply: Awesome deals on Polk subs