Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Bad ground clamp at battery that LOOKS fine - possible source of TIPM/DTC problems

Old 12-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Bad ground clamp at battery that LOOKS fine - possible source of TIPM/DTC problems

So today I was working on my 2011 JKU and noticed that the OEM ground clamp was loose. It looks like it's fully clamped, but when you push on it, it moves easily. This may be the reason I've had intermittent DTCs and faulty TIPM-like symptoms. The video shows what I'm talking about. The pic shows how the clamp had burn marks from not making a good connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFKIdEtC-Y
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151213_110601.jpg
Views:	7559
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	632131  
Old 12-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Shows the video as private are you running your stock battery still? I swapped to an Optima and the clamps fit a little tighter.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Shows the video as private are you running your stock battery still? I swapped to an Optima and the clamps fit a little tighter.
Dang it! Okay, should be public now.

No, I'm running a Sears Platinum Marine battery (AGM). I found a new clamp for the ground post and it's tight now. Not sure what the deal is with the OEM clamp.

Quick Reply: Bad ground clamp at battery that LOOKS fine - possible source of TIPM/DTC problems