Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery Draining

Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you have a CB installed or not, but I know mine was causing a drain on my battery for the longest time. Cobra 29 LX LE which has a weather radio feature that will notify of impending weather even when it's off. I had it connected direct to the battery so I could use it even if the ignition was off. Have since disconnected it completely with the intention of connecting it to a master switch and just haven't gotten around to it. Only mention it because that could be a source or power drain, too. Mine pretty well killed my OEM battery and more than a few times drained the Optima red top I have now. So food for thought.

Also....your profile says Lubbock. Texas weather absolutely destroys batteries. 2 years on a battery here, regardless of brand, etc., is about the average. Anything more than that and you're doing good.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Ok that's now my turn to have an issue with that.. I purchased my 2016 Jeep Willys wheeler brand new 3 years ago. And now I got .7 amps draw... WTF

It kills my battery during the night. I did a load test on my battery after recharging it everything was fine.. Yes OEM battery! Loll

The M13 fuse seems to drain a lot and the radio also. Don't know where to start after that. I did a diodes test on alternator everything was good also.

Any hint? Anyone fixed his issues yet?
Old 12-23-2019, 10:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Fuse M13: Ignition Off Draw— Cabin Compartment Node (IOD-CCN), Wireless Control Module (WCM), SIREN, Clock Module (CLK MOD), Multi-Function Control Switch (MULTIFCTN SW)
Note that it takes several minutes after key-off for everything to go to sleep, and amperage to go to minimum. I'd primarily suspect anything aftermarket or re-wired (into fuse M13). There also could be something that is keeping other electronics from sleeping normally, especially anything connected to the OBD port. As Ron mentioned earlier, 35ma is the max in the manual for a completely stock JK -- However anything extra, such as a radio, CB, alarm, etc. can add to that.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Drain battery

Well Jeep is stock, nothing been added to it...
Only the harness for trailer that i had disconnected for inquiry and it still draining power..

It's weird.. Yes I now know because of older post that Jeep go to sleep after a few minutes thx for the reminder
Old 12-24-2019, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Well guys I got exactly the same issue as you, when I pulled M13 fuse draw went down to 0.04 amps!

One of you must know whats going on please help or i wont see my kids for xmas
Old 12-24-2019, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

So I removed the
- M12 fuse (30 amp, Amplifier means radio)
- M13 fuse (20 amps, Ignition Off Draw – Cabin Compartment Node, Wireless Control Module, SIREN, Multifunction Control Switch

and everything went back to normal.. Any ideas please!
Old 12-24-2019, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Seems that our australian friends also got the same issues..

NOfuse and M13 Issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand
Old 12-27-2019, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Well well, I have never experienced something crazy like this.. Battery Test Load - Good, Alternator tested - Good.

After recharging battery again, and remove negative pole to make sure Jeep starts the next morning, BATTERY DEAD AGAIN in the morning!

WTF, replaced the battery, will check again tomorow if I still got drain with this battery, not sure but I beleive that the readin of the drain was coming from the battery itself!!!!!

Anyway, 25 years in electronics and i got f..... anyway! Loll Next time I will try a Drain test (reading the Amps) right on the battery, maybe that would helped! OEM battery piece of crap, thx to Jeep for another crazy shit and to charge us full price for a brand new battery in our Jeep..!!! GRR

I have disconnected the poles tonight to make sure as last night, with only one pole connected it killed the battery!! YA! It did!

As this battery is brand new I dont want the Jeep to break it ... I will update you tomorow after I check if I still got a drain of that brand new battery
Old 12-30-2019, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Humm - I keep coming back to this post ....

Which stereo / radio do you have with your truck - the basic, or the Alpine unit ?

I'm wondering if your stereo has some big-ass capacitor abusing your battery ....
Old 12-31-2019, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

You should read previous posts, I beleive I said all what youre asking for

Radio stock, jeep stock did not add anything else than harness for ytailer that i had disconnected from battery and still draining.
I did not disconnect nothing else than the doors and hard top and left side blinker to plug the harness adapter. I will have to investigate there today

Quick Reply: Battery Draining