Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery suggestions...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery suggestions...

So I go out to my jeep this morning and try to start it and the battery is dead. its still the original battery and i was planning on replacing it. What is everyones battery suggestion?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go to Sears and het a Die Hard Platnum. It is a rebadged Odessey. You should be good to go then.....
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

I have a Optima Yellow...I like it...I think your gonna hear Sears Die Hard Platinum or Optima alot....
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default yep...

optima is a lil out of my price range.. dont want to spend more than around 125 right this second. On a tight budget. other people are recommending interstate.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same prob a couple of months ago.
Went to Kragen and got the battery from them.
I believe it has a bigger CCA than the stock one.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on your budget. If you can afford the best, get the best. Buy an optima yellow top. Sams Club sells them right now for $163. A red top from them is $139. My red top lasted 9 years in my TJ which included heavy duty winching and using the battery at least threet times for trail welding.

I run yellow tops in my JK, My Toyota Tacoma and My wife's Infiniti. Also, I replaced my red top in my TJ with a yellow top as well.

If you don't wheel a car battery will work just fine for you, but as you can see I use yellow tops for non-wheeling vehicles too.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, given your budget, just go to Sears and get the best you can. If money was no object, get an Odyssey or the Sears Platinum (a rebadged Odyssey). I have abused my Odyssey badly and it has had no ill effects (ran it down running the winch and compressor with the engine off. Waited about 30 seconds and it still started the engine). I winch with the engine off all the time and this battery takes it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with a good deep cycle: Spend the extra for a good solid battery rather than cheap out...IMHO. Look at

Odyssey
Diehard Platinium
Optima - yellow top

Also, hear the Northstar battery is damn good as well!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep Battery

I echo the gent that recommended the Optima yellowtop. Most automotive batteries will leak acid as a result of wheeling. Mall Jeeps can get by with a cheap leaky-top. Any Jeep used for even mild wheeling will benefit from at least one yellowtop; I run two to support winching, compressor and 24 volt field stick welding.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Battery Suggestions

Sears Diehard Platinum Battery side terminals will easily carry the high current draw of a hitch. Optima warns against using side terminals for high current draws

Quick Reply: Battery suggestions...