Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery tie downs as well as replacement battery

Old 09-01-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery tie downs as well as replacement battery

Two questions.

1) What has everyone been doing to better secure the battery? Have seen aftermarket items out for older Jeeps to better secure the battery, but have not seen anything for 07 and up.

2) Not an immediate purchase maybe, but looking for a better replacement battery. Will have at least one set of off road lights in the next 1-6 months, and a CB. Stock Infinity amp/radio draw for the stereo side. I will not be running a winch or on board air at any point in the foreseeable future.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the factory battery holder has no problems. The holder in our 07 JK holds the battery very secure. I see no need for an aftermarket holder.
As for a new battery Optima is a very good battery, and quite a few Jeepers are using it. Optima's come in the Red Top for a starting battery. The Yellow Top for a deep cycle, and a Blue Top for marine use.
Many with winches and enough aux lights to imitate the sun, or a sound system that rivals a concert sound system, go with the Yellow Top.
Although I have a winch, auxlights and a good high wattage sound system in my XJ, I run the Red Top. The first one I had lasted 8 years, and got plenty of use, and my second one now has 4 years on it.
Looks like a Red Top would do you fine.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

The main thing you need to consider is not the battery but your alternator. Unless you plan to run your accessories with the engine turned off, the alternator is doing all the work. A winch is the only thing that is hard to keep up with alternator wise.

For my CJ7 that has a stock 65 amp alternator I got it rewound to 120 amps. I have no problems with my electric cooling fans and my lights now. I have your basic autozone battery in it. I have no problems with that setup.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Battery Tie down

Just my 2 cents and not for everyone-
Just before I went to Tellico this August, I had my entire rear passenger area dimond plated and Line-xed black. Yup, got rid of the bench seat completely. I had a Taylor bushed aluminum batt. box installed with a yellow top optima. This runs my winch and charges off the altenator. I run a red top under the hood. For me, it works great! The wife is not to keen on it, but thats why I bought her a new car so she can stay out of my jeep and jeep business! LOL!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by derff96963
The main thing you need to consider is not the battery but your alternator. Unless you plan to run your accessories with the engine turned off, the alternator is doing all the work. A winch is the only thing that is hard to keep up with alternator wise.

For my CJ7 that has a stock 65 amp alternator I got it rewound to 120 amps. I have no problems with my electric cooling fans and my lights now. I have your basic autozone battery in it. I have no problems with that setup.

The JK already has a 160 Amp alternator. At least our 07 Unlimited X came stock with a 160 amp. That should be enough power for what the Area-51 has in mind
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default A

Originally Posted by Lorrel
The JK already has a 160 Amp alternator. At least our 07 Unlimited X came stock with a 160 amp. That should be enough power for what the Area-51 has in mind
My point was that all he needs is a quality battery. He doesn't need anything special unless he will be running accesories with the engine turned off. He doesn't need an optima. Any quality battery will do.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Here's the consensus: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/battery-49161/

although I'm running an Odyssey.

Quick Reply: Battery tie downs as well as replacement battery