Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery upgrade

Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
The best setup out there is the Genesis kit. I have mine and am installing it this weekend!!
You should take a picture when it's in and post it!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bombout800
I have one agm under the hood and two huge 130ah agm batteries, one under each front seat. As long as you go with a sealed battery you'll be fine. Your alt will most definitely keep up, although I would recommend upping wire to 1/0 and doing the big 3.
Do you have any pictures of batteries mounted down there? Also how do you have them wired? Isolater?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
... Benchmark ...
Benchmark Designs is out of business. And it was only available for the 3.8 motors. I do run the Benchmark Designs kit with the OEM alternator. I used to have two Optimas, but didn't get the life out of them that I would have expected. Replaced them with Sears Diehard Platinums (not the Marine versions) and will see how that goes. There is a lot of heat in there and that is very hard on batteries--especially the one adjacent to the engine (which with my setup is the starter battery).

Other thoughts: OEM Spark plugs are good for 100K miles. Recommend change them while installing a dual battery kit so you put off for as long as possible before having to tear into that again--your dual battery will make that a bit more difficult. This is what I had to pull to do mine this last weekend (and, no, access through the fender was not possible because of the larger battery tray):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Spark Plugs, Aug 15, N5_4844, Parts Removed for Access.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	622833

I was replacing NGK plugs that had 75K miles and that had replaced OEM plugs at 95K miles (when I installed the kit). The $4 apiece OEM plugs looked to be in much better shape than the NGKs.

Finally, Mean Green and Premier Power Welder sell upgraded alternators, if you're concerned about needing more current. I'm still using the stock alternator, but my primary draw on the aux battery is pretty low current stuff. Yes, there's lots of high current stuff connected up to it, but I don't spend much time running the winch, aux lights, etc. It's more running a couple video cameras, a 7" tablet, inverter powering camera batteries, fridge, etc. When stopped, aux battery powers the fridge and for an hour or so each day, a laptop (while I transfer videos and photos over to its hard drive). Aux lighting is used only very occasionally--when late getting to camp, when setting up camp, etc. I don't usually plan to drive at night, but rarely it just happens (it's more risky, there's no scenery to enjoy, and the video always sucks).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-27-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jessejames46
I've read that older optima batteries were good but now there crap because they are made in Mexico and the quality went way down
While reality changes, myths keep going... When production in Mexico started, there were QC problems, which had been solved long ago.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jessejames46
I thought about that and I wonder if my alternator is good enough for that.. I'd love if I could mount that battery in the back of my jeep but I worry about it being inside the cabin.. Like if it leaked or something happened. I think I read somewhere that they smell bad too. Or maybe run long wires from the second battery and mount remote terminals somewhere safely in the back
The stock alternator is good enough.
I join the recommendation for a dual battery setup, preferably deep-discharge gel batteries.
Why have a battery occupy space at the rear, or run very thick wires to & from it? In this case, the winch would draw more from the shorter wire battery, which is your starting battery.
Having the 2 batteries next to each other allow short & similar length wires between the charging controller and the batteries, which is the optimum setup.
I can also join the recommendation for the Genesis Offroad kit.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
While reality changes, myths keep going... When production in Mexico started, there were QC problems, which had been solved long ago.
And you know this how??
Seems I'm still seeing quite a few posts on the quality, or lack there-of on a lot of forums, both truck and automobile
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
And you know this how??
Seems I'm still seeing quite a few posts on the quality, or lack there-of on a lot of forums, both truck and automobile
How do I know? --
Personal experience with 4 Yellow Tops on 2 vehicles.
Feedback from fellow Jeepers who have them.
Feedback from a friend who owns a Jeep upgrading shop, and who has experience with a lot of them, as well as with other brands.
The reports on this forum.

There's a lot of questionable views, reviews, misconceptions and lack of knowledge on the Internet, more than there's valid stuff.
There's a small percentage of lemons in every mass produced product. The very few who bumped into lemons make much noise, the thousands of happy customers keep quiet.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
..... Aux lighting is used only very occasionally--when late getting to camp, when setting up camp, etc. I don't usually plan to drive at night, but rarely it just happens (it's more risky, there's no scenery to enjoy, and the video always sucks).
...And, if the extra lights don't make the Jeep into a 'Light House', but are what's really needed, and based on LEDs, the battery drain is small.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
The best setup out there is the Genesis kit. I have mine and am installing it this weekend!!
Max,
How'd your install go? I'll be dropping a Genesis kit in soon as well and I'm wondering if you hit any snags. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Battery upgrade