Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best battery for the money.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
What does this one cost???? And is it the same as the marine?? Thx
I bought a Diehard Platinum "Marine". From what I remember the cost are the same on the standard and the Marine. Myself and others believe they're really the same battery.

I don't know if you know....so here goes anyways. "Marine" means you can run the battery down to a 30% charge before it starts to cause damage to where you're shortening the life of the battery. Non Marine you're able to run them down to a 50% charge before damage starts to occur. Thus a marine is meant for boats and such, where you may be running the battery down to being dead before you put a recharge on it. So if you're driving often, you really don't need a marine.

So anyways, here's the deal in regards to Warranty on the Die Hard Platinums. The Die-Hard Platinum "Marine" has a 3 year warranty and the Standard Die-Hard Platinum has a 5 year warranty. So by reasonable deductions.....since a "Marine" is intended to be run down more often, then that would tend to shorten the life of a battery.....thus, the shorter warranty. The specs are exactly the same between the 2 batteries. The only real difference between the 2 batteries is that on the "marine" there are a 2 additional top mount posts....which can be useful. So you decide what is more important to you. 2 additional terminal posts, or 2 extra years of a full replacement warranty.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sears Diehard Platinum costs the same as the other high end batteries, around $200.

------
Paul
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

I'm not usually one for consumer reports but they rated Costco Batteries pretty Hi.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
I'm not usually one for consumer reports but they rated Costco Batteries pretty Hi.
They are pretty good. And made by Johnson Controls which makes Interstate and Optima.

Odyssey doesn't "make" the DieHard Platinum, EnerSys makes them both. Also fine products.

Here's some info about the manufacturers and what they're doing. Battery technology is finally getting the R&D that it derserves. We're at the forefront of a new battery frontier. Get ready for the next generations soon.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Optima red or yellow top, you'll never buy another battery
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

I was gonna go optima. But they recenty moved to Mexico and the quality has gone down hill significantly. (according to fellow jeepers and the battery stores here) so I went with odyssey. It was $275 it has lifetime to questions asked full replacement on it. But I think that was just the store here that did that for me
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocNrow
Optima yellow top about 200$
Picked up my yellow top for $129.99 Cdn with 2 yr full replacement warranty
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zig650
Optima red or yellow top, you'll never buy another battery
That's pushing it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

I went with a yellow top for $185 at Sams. So far so good
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Best battery for the money.