Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

best non-LED fog lights

Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best non-LED fog lights

Looking to replace my LED fogs before winter. They're amber and they're great in the snow - until the snow builds up on them and they become useless. Who makes a good HID or halogen fog? The easier the installation the better.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing
Old 11-11-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Stock lool
Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
Looking to replace my LED fogs before winter. They're amber and they're great in the snow - until the snow builds up on them and they become useless. Who makes a good HID or halogen fog? The easier the installation the better.
If you are using the stock housing, you could put DDM HID's in there. I ran 3000k's for a couple years. The housing itself sucks so they didn't exactly throw a lot of light out but ended up using them as my DRL so that was my reasoning.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

HIDprojectors.com makes an HID fog for JKs. There might be some custom fab required for mounting, I am not sure. You can get standard 4000k, 5000k and 6000k bulbs, but he also has a yellow HID you can get which from photos I saw looked cool.

I have used PIAA ion crystal's in the past and they are amazing for fog lights. The yellow is the perfect color IMO for fog, snow and wet roads to see. PIAA makes a wide range of light sizes, but I believe most of their lights have a fog lens option with ion crystal bulb.

EDIT:
I should add, that if you're getting PIAA lights I would highly recommend you get a lens protecting film since these lights get hot and when a rock or other road junk hits the lens it will crack the glass. I can't remember what I used when I was running them, but it was some brand the local 4x4 shop recommended.

Last edited by spicoli; 11-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spicoli
HIDprojectors.com makes an HID fog for JKs. There might be some custom fab required for mounting, I am not sure. You can get standard 4000k, 5000k and 6000k bulbs, but he also has a yellow HID you can get which from photos I saw looked cool.

I have used PIAA ion crystal's in the past and they are amazing for fog lights. The yellow is the perfect color IMO for fog, snow and wet roads to see. PIAA makes a wide range of light sizes, but I believe most of their lights have a fog lens option with ion crystal bulb.

EDIT:
I should add, that if you're getting PIAA lights I would highly recommend you get a lens protecting film since these lights get hot and when a rock or other road junk hits the lens it will crack the glass. I can't remember what I used when I was running them, but it was some brand the local 4x4 shop recommended.
Thanks. I saw the hidprojectors option, but I want something that's absolutely waterproof with how exposed the fogs are to the elements and water crossings.

I've looked at the piaa but all I've seen are LEDs which won't work in the snow. It looks like the ion crystals are just bulbs though? They plug and play into the dog housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Thanks. I saw the hidprojectors option, but I want something that's absolutely waterproof with how exposed the fogs are to the elements and water crossings. I've looked at the piaa but all I've seen are LEDs which won't work in the snow. It looks like the ion crystals are just bulbs though? They plug and play into the dog housing? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the stock housing you will need stock fogs. If you're willing to fabricate a mounting situation then you have lots of options.
PIAA still makes halogen lights. Check again. The 510 crystal ion light.
http://www.piaa.com/store/p/75-510-I...-Lamp-Kit.aspx

Quick Reply: best non-LED fog lights