Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best spot to put proximity sensor (motion sensor) in jku

Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spot to put proximity sensor (motion sensor) in jku

So I'm adding remote start and alarm looking for a location to put motion sensor. So I get the most coverage. Front and rear. I may have to put two in one front and rear. Any one else have a ideas where I can put them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I put one right at the bottom of the center dashboard behind the little storage pouch. Provided pretty good coverage of the front and rear passenger compartment for when the doors were off. It did nothing for the rear cargo area. I debated putting another one back there behind the plastic on the door but never got around to it.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is under the carpet between the rear seat and center console. But I have two grown children and they sit behind the front seats. Never in the center of the back seat. I have had three sets of feet on the floor in the back seating area and it hasn't hurt the sensor, but I guess it could. The location I have mine covers the entire interior. One caution? When the "zone" is expanded to cover a big interior, I do get a few too many alerts when parked under trees. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I will have to look at those spots when I get ready two put it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default It takes two

I went thru the same process as you, after i owned the jeep 3 months and 3 break ins I invested in a Viper alarm with two sensors. One located behind the dash in front of the shifter (auto trans) and the other located in the rear compartment in the jack area. The reason for the second sensor was the front had zero coverage in the back even when turned all the way up, this just caused alarms from 5 feet away. I could literaly unzip the back window and reach in the vehicle before it went off. Just make sure the back is turned down, other wise you will get alot of alarms in high wind days or if big trucks pass your jeep.

I found out the hard way the factory alarm only works if the doors are opened or a false start is attempted. If your chosen alarm system comes with an led light make sure it is very visible, like on the dash behind the small speakers facing front, the vipers come with a bright blue one that you can see at night from a block away. I think this does more then the actual system. Another point, the installer had a problem with the factory door locks connecting to the viper system that also has the same features. make sure your installer sets it up right and programs your new system. One thing I would do differentely a year later is add a hidden disconnect for the alarm or had the installer program the system to not auto come on after vehicle shut off for when the top is off. Just make sure the installer does this for you.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Another thing to look into is mopars evts system it doesn't have the proximity sensors yet but all the other options they give you are great
Old 06-08-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally found the right location for my proximity senor. Took out the front dome light and put in there. Put two led bulbs on the sound bar to replace the dome light. Seems to work good. Having had but one fasle. But not what set if off. But I haven't adjusted it yet.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine under the carpet directly behind the front console.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is under the console and works for front and back

Quick Reply: Best spot to put proximity sensor (motion sensor) in jku