Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cant find clear answer! Want to add substation but use Factory HU

Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find clear answer! Want to add substation but use Factory HU

2014 JKU - Did not have infinity sound system.
I have been looking for awhile now and I can't seem to find a clear answer. I bought a Kicker Substation just to add some bass to stock system. It is a loaded system and I have all wiring. I see people saying you need a converter to use stock Headunit and others say you don't. They say it can mess up the canbus (Idk what that is). Can I keep my stock headunit with this setup? If so, do I need a converter or can I wire the system up to the stock headunit?
Like I said, there are answers out there I know but none of them are very clear and/or there are mixed responses. Please help
Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tapped into the rear soundbar speaker wires at the lower b pillar on passenger side. Ran speaker wire from there to rear cargo area then a small converter to change speaker wire to RCA cable and wired up the amp and sub.

sent from the slow lane
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

ok so you only had converter to rca correct? How does it sound? Has anything gone wrong?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds fine. No issues. I just have the gain turned down so not to overpower the mids and highs from the factory speakers. But I can turn it up and bass out if I want to.

sent from the slow lane
Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for sharing the info
Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

I added a Kicker powered sub to mine I tapped into the passenger front speaker behind the glove box,
you should have high level inputs on your Kicker sub (speaker level) no need for RCA adapter and will be able to adjust as needed with sub controls on High use the gain control.

I have read that the rear speakers do not have a full range signal all the time and the front is a better option for a sub, don't know but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Last edited by Dadn96; 06-18-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

sounds good. everything on the internet is true. The internet says so. thanks for input
Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

The amp input has 2 sets of high level inputs. Do you need to run cables from both of front speakers or can you run both inputs off of one of the front speakers?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I only used one.
Sub frequency is normally mono, not always but most of the time.
I suppose both may be better but not sure, if using both make sure you get them in phase, + to + - to - (jeep wires to sub amp wires you will need a wiring diagram) on both (all 4 wires) inputs then you can effectively use the phase switch.
If using one, the phase switch on the sub amp can also be used to get them in phase with the rest of the speakers in the jeep.
only use one set if hooking to just one jeep speaker.

Last edited by Dadn96; 06-18-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sporticon
I tapped into the rear soundbar speaker wires at the lower b pillar on passenger side. Ran speaker wire from there to rear cargo area then a small converter to change speaker wire to RCA cable and wired up the amp and sub. sent from the slow lane
I did the exact same +2 on this post. I still use my stock head unit.

Quick Reply: Cant find clear answer! Want to add substation but use Factory HU