Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

cb tuning

Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb tuning

How do I calibrate a swr test. I have never put a cb radio before?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

What kind of readings are you getting? Calibration is usually done at the antenna or adjusting settings on the CB itself, but it's hard to help you out without knowing what you are getting.

If it's spiking, then most likely you have a grounding issue.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you talking about calibrating the meter? Or tuning the antenna?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

how do you calibrate the meter
Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

You need to hook the meter between the antenna and the radio. A short piece of coax is needed to do this. On the back of the swr meter should be 2 connectors. MAke sure you hook the antenna wire to the correct one and then the short coax goes from the meter to the radio.

There should be a switch on the meter that says CAL and SWR. To calibrate it, key the mic (but don't transmit) and push teh switch to CAL. Use the knob to align the needle with the CAL line. Once there, move the switch to SWR and see what your reading is. The reading is your SWR. Write it down and do the same procedure on a few channels, namely 1, 40 and 20. Write thos SWR readings down.

If they are higher than 2.5:1 then you must tune the antenna. The tuning depends on your antenna. You should try and get the SWR as close to 1:1 as possible.

When you are doing this, try and be in an open area, close your Jeep doors and no one should be standing near the antenna when you do the readings. Any of these can throw off the SWR reading.

Or take it to a CB shop and let them do it.

John
Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

ok, I found out how to calibrate the swr meter. Now My needle is jumping, so I know I have a bad ground. I ran a ground wire from the body to the teraflex mount dehind the spare. I did take off the powder coating from were it connects. what else would it be? any help would be nice. Thank you, Mike

Last edited by mikesjk; 02-23-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

anyone have an idea?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I've had the same issue and swapped the antenna to a 3 foot and I'm able to get the readings in line until I start the jeep and then there is some interference. pretty annoying really. I've tried allot to fix this and nothing works. Re-wired 3 times and no difference and I have 3 grounds that are on bare metal. If you have a CB shop in your state (I don't) then I'd suggest seeing if they can figure it out.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

NE Wrangling, did you find out the problem with your cb. I took a little time and did some swapping and found out that I had a bad coax cable. If you need any help let me know. I have mine tuned and ready to go.

Quick Reply: cb tuning