Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Compass module???

Old 08-23-2008, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compass module???

I have a base model X. (no compass) While installing some aux switches in the front dash panel I noticed
that the wires for the compass module are already there. Could I buy the module... plug it in and it works?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
I have a base model X. (no compass) While installing some aux switches in the front dash panel I noticed
that the wires for the compass module are already there. Could I buy the module... plug it in and it works?

Physically, yes.
Electronically, the dealer may need to turn it on with the Starscan.
A phone call to the dealer would help.
If you buy the module, ask if they will turn it on for free, if it needs to be turned on.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about our JKs. Chrysler may have locked down its capabilities if not factory-installed.
My wife had a Montana that came with a plain old overhead console.
I bought the upgraded console with compass and information center on ebay. Hooked it up to the harness hidden behind the headliner and voila!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Where is the display for it? Under the speedo?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
Where is the display for it? Under the speedo?
Yes.......
Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

cool.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

did you ever find out if you could make this happen? I also was thinking of using that harness for a rear view camera. Which wire is which?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
did you ever find out if you could make this happen? I also was thinking of using that harness for a rear view camera. Which wire is which?

I'm missing something here - can you explain

The compass module is mounted under the top panel of the dash - that's just the sensor and the display is under the speedo as someone already mentioned.

None of the trim levels of the Wrangler come with any electronic functionality in the mirror that I am aware of.

If you wanted a mirror compass there you could buy an aftermarket mirror - in that case it would presumably already have the compass inside it and all you would need is a powerfeed (so why would you need the OEM Wrangler compass?)

Unless of course you were thinking of taking a Chrysler power-featured mirror out of another model (like a Nitro etc) and fitting that up. I had thought about doing that but hadn't considered the possibility that the mirror in (for example) a Nitro) wasn't completely self contained and just required a powerfeed and a connection betwen a mirror mike and the MYGIG.

Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Steve mentioned, I think the rearviews have their own compass built in - you just need to supply it power.

I would check salvage yards, because I would be willing to bet the actual compass module under the dash is pretty spendy if you buy it new.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

I'm planning on using the harness for the compass to power a rear view camera monitor. Does any body know which wires do what?

Quick Reply: Compass module???