Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Custom sub box installed

Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom sub box installed

The box took my stereo guy about a day and a half to make, it came out great. He took some pics during the process and he said he will email them to me when he gets a chance. The sound quality is great, no distortion. I am very happy with the way everything came out, next step is to replace factory speakers. Pictures arent great with top down, I will post better ones when I put up top.

New head unit installed with Metra dash kit and harness:

Custom box with 2 8" Pioneer shallow mount (2.5" mounting depth) subs. Made from a fiberglass mold of storage area and MDF board for the top:

With hatch closed, does not hit at all. The top of the box is about .5" below hatch so it will not hit.

Amp installed under drivers seat, not sure if I will keep it there:

Wires still need to be cleaned up, I am still wiring up my XM box.

Here is just a poser shot:

Thanks,
K
Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks great! How does it sound? I wonder how they sound compared to a stock sub.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, it sounds great! A buddy of mine has a JK with factory sub, no comparison. He will probably get a box made after hearing mine. I am very impresssed with the Pioneer subs.

Thanks,
K
Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

did you consider the 10" or 12" pioneer shallow subs? would they fit the same location? maybe a single one instead of 2? how heavy is the bass?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great job! Here's the pic of mine bro. I guess ur friend got to work easier with the 8".....but I still have to hear how mine sounds. LOL

I hope both our ideas help other JKers also. 1 question. How does it sound with the hard plastic cover on top of the subs?? Maybe I shouldn't have cut mine??? Oh well, too late.

Last edited by ClownBaby; 05-06-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Great job! Here's the pic of mine bro. I guess ur friend got to work easier with the 8".....but I still have to hear how mine sounds. LOL

I hope both our ideas help other JKers also. 1 question. How does it sound with the hard plastic cover on top of the subs?? Maybe I shouldn't have cut mine??? Oh well, too late.
is yours the 10" ?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I thought about a 10" (a box similar to Clownbaby's) but I went with the 2 8's because the box seemed like a better fit. I dont listen to hip hop or rap so I dont really need deep bass and the difference from a 10" sub to a 8" sub is nothing. I prefered having the 2 8's for more overall sound.

Clownbaby, looks real good. You went in a different direction than me but it came out nice. You did it yourself and I went the lazymans way out, I paid to have it done. The sound is the same if I have the hatch open or closed, it really has no effect on the bass. I am really impressed with the sound.

K
Old 05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superboo
is yours the 10" ?
Yes, it's 10"...I would have gone 12" but the cargo area is about 11" but that shouldn't really matter.

KTC, bro your look good and now I'm a little bummed out for cutting the top piece. But that's cool I guess. I originally wanted to go w/ 2 8" like you, but 1, I couldn't find the hollow subs until ur first post and 2nd, I listen to lots of hip hop and reggae so I wanted to go w/ largest possible. I just can't wait to get my HU in this wed so I can install it and hear it.

So until then, I'm jealous of you! haha
Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
both of those look good. thats the first thning i touoght of for that area when i looked at it. i like it but i use that area for stuff that i can be without (hitch, tow strap, some tools)
You mean..."you CAN'T be w/out" right?
I also thought like you then realized, do I really need to keep straps, tow hooks, and what not, in there all the time? I can just carry it in a bag that I can take w/ me when going off roading or during snow season...u know?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is exactly what I want to do, but do the subs have to be shollow mount? I was planning on doing 2 8" JL's. I dont think they make shollow mount.

Quick Reply: Custom sub box installed