Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do I need a winch fuse kit?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Yep and I keep it in the OFF position until the winch is needed. A fuse is NOT always 100% protection ..... just automatic protection. A fuse if rated properly will snap off @ 80% of it's load value (Rule of thumb face value is 80% of what that circuit can handle at max capacity without damage I.E a 15 amp fuse is protecting a system that 18 amps will cause damage to)

A winch is a motor which in itself is a load that generates alot of heat quickly. Now that being said if alot of light use causes enough heat to melt the jacket of the positive lead of the winch, the fuse may not see the amperage before it is too late (Meaning a direct short to chassis ground). A switch can be turned off to isolate the power when the melt down is beginning and damage is then avoided.

Not to mention remove the power source entirely when not in use to stop the winch from starting all by itself in the parking lot unattended (If a wireless remote setup is installed) if the receiver catches a frequency to start. Also a switch will also be a big help in say a front end collision , or perhaps the positive wire chaffing against a metal structure on the jeep wearing away the jacket and creating a dead short when driving or again unattended.

Now a Fused switch is the best ...period. Removal of power source and the bennys of having auto protection.
You have got to be kidding!
For those of you who believe this about fuses. Just go take all the brakers out of you distribution box at your house and install single pole switches in their place. Then when you see that your house is about to burn down. You can run outside and shut off the power to that circuit. I have seen brakers malfunction and not trip when they should. But a fuse is different. If the system is designed correctly, it is virtually impossible for a fuse not to blow.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 09-10-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooo when you are all set to stop taking things out of context and try to over rationalize what you are trying to read it will become crystal clear for you. I was not bashing fuses, rather trying to explain why in this particular instance adding a switch is a really good thing. I am not saying to replace a fuse with a switch
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Sooo when you are all set to stop taking things out of context and try to over rationalize what you are trying to read it will become crystal clear for you. I was not bashing fuses, rather trying to explain why in this particular instance adding a switch is a really good thing. I am not saying to replace a fuse with a switch
OK. Your right. Maybe I did get a little over excited. But

A fuse is NOT always 100% protection
This is incorrect. The fuse / circuit braker is the primary protective device while the system is in opperation.

A fuse if rated properly will snap off @ 80% of it's load value
This is incorrect. A fuse will blow at face value. You should design your circuit to opperate @ 80% load.

I.E a 15 amp fuse is protecting a system that 18 amps will cause damage to
A 15A fuse will blow ( on a gradual increase ) long before it reaches 18A. But fuses are not magic. In a dead short situation, a fuse may see many times its protection value before it has time to react. but we are talking milliseconds. Not enough time to build up a substantial amount of heat. A circuit will actually build more heat on a gradual climb rather than an instantaneous short. But either way, if the fuse size agrees with the wire size, the heat build up is within tollerances of the system. A fuse works on the princaple of heat build up. Inside the fuse, there is an alloy that is designed to melt at a pre determined temperature. Well below the damaging temps of the system.

A winch is a motor which in itself is a load that generates alot of heat quickly. Now that being said if alot of light use causes enough heat to melt the jacket of the positive lead of the winch,
Then you have the incorrect fuse size / wire size.

A switch can be turned off to isolate the power when the melt down is beginning and damage is then avoided.
This is incorrect. This is what the fuse is for. Not a switch. By the time you see a problem, it's already to late.

Now a Fused switch is the best ...period. Removal of power source and the bennys of having auto protection.
This is the only statment that makes sense.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 09-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Your right. Maybe I did get a little over excited. But

Originally Posted by Me
A fuse is NOT always 100% protection
Originally Posted by You
This is incorrect. The fuse / circuit braker is the primary protective device while the system is in opperation.
in THIS case yes you are correct.. it is fair to say however a fuse is NOT always a 100% end-all - one size fits all protection for a device. Things like current limiters (Popped one off on a 480V 3-phase 400Hz line 3 days ago), Thermal disconnects , breakers and auto shunt trips , Vac Ir's , Cad blow frees (Really fun in a 16.8KV station)

Originally Posted by Me
A fuse if rated properly will snap off @ 80% of it's load value
Originally Posted by You
This is incorrect. A fuse will blow at face value. You should design your circuit to opperate @ 80% load.
Exactly .. a Load I.E device , equipment whatever you use and its circuitry shall be rated with a fuse of 80% of its value ... how is that incorrect ????

Originally Posted by Me
A winch is a motor which in itself is a load that generates alot of heat quickly. Now that being said if alot of light use causes enough heat to melt the jacket of the positive lead of the winch,
Originally Posted by You
Then you have the incorrect fuse size / wire size.
True and I cannot think of one winch manufacturer that includes a safety device such as a fuse in any of their kits?? I bet most guys just hook up to the battery without a thought. At that point something in the winch system will become the fuse

Originally Posted by Me
A switch can be turned off to isolate the power when the melt down is beginning and damage is then avoided.
Originally Posted by You
This is incorrect. This is what the fuse is for. Not a switch. By the time you see a problem, it's already to late.
Again I Never said replace a fuse with a switch if you have a winch motor on fire lets say and the fuse for some reason never popped ....... you can remove power to it by simply turning a switch

Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

.. it is fair to say however a fuse is NOT always a 100% end-all -
That is correct this equipment is made by man. Not God. And there is no magic involved. Sometimes things do not go as planed. But a fuse is a lot more reliable than trying to monitor the system by site. Then rushing to throw a switch AFTER something starts to melt down.

fuse is NOT always a 100% end-all - one size fits all protection for a device
I never did say that one size fits all. Everything in an electrical system has to be sized correctly. And it is up to the installer to make sure that it is. But there are enough sizes to meet any demand.

Things like current limiters (Popped one off on a 480V 3-phase 400Hz line 3 days ago), Thermal disconnects , breakers and auto shunt trips , Vac Ir's , Cad blow frees (Really fun in a 16.8KV station)
So you have witnessed these things in action. I have too. And they do a pretty good job when designed and installed properly. Don't they. This is my whole point of this conversation.

Exactly .. a Load I.E device , equipment whatever you use and its circuitry shall be rated with a fuse of 80% of its value ... how is that incorrect ????
Well, in a round about way, this is correct. But this isnt what you said before. Like I said before, "YOU" have to designt the system so that the total current draw is no more than 80% of total capacity of the system. But the fuse will not blow untill it reaches 100% of the manufactures rating of the fuse. A 10A fuse will blow at approximately 10A. Not 8A.

True and I cannot think of one winch manufacturer that includes a safety device such as a fuse in any of their kits?? I bet most guys just hook up to the battery without a thought. At that point something in the winch system will become the fuse
You are probably correct. But I can not save the world. I can only do my best to advise my fellow Jeepers in this small corner of the JK-Forum.

Again I Never said replace a fuse with a switch if you have a winch motor on fire lets say and the fuse for some reason never popped
Highly unlikely. But never the less possible.

Once again, Agreed.

Quick Reply: Do I need a winch fuse kit?