Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Dome Lights - with a Caveat

Old 03-17-2019, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Lights - with a Caveat

So yes, I have seen the posts with similar issues to this, but hear me out first.

Recently bought a 2011 JKU - I, like others, am having the issue where all of the sudden my dome lights do not turn on when the doors are opened, or by using the dial on the knob for the headlights. Still works fine if hit the button on the actual light, and occasionally will turn on when I open the door...but only until I start the car.

So here's the catch - last week had an issue with a battery terminal connection being loose and the battery dying on me. Since then is when I've had the dome light issue. Any chance this is just because my battery is on its last or just not giving enough juice? Initially the dome light continued to work but would flicker a bit. Battery has since tested fine, but can't help but think this is the issue.

*of note, bought this used and the previous owner had a bunch of accessories run off the battery - accessories are gone, but some of the wiring is still there. Battery is a standard type, whereas I ran an Optima on my previous JK.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Could be your battery. I know JKs will do some crazy, weird stuff when the battery is on the fritz. When you say it tested fine, was that a load test? Just sticking a multi-meter on it and saying all is good with 13.6 volts won't show issues with the battery under load.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Re: testing the battery - took it down to advance auto and they tested the battery which read as good. Also, my stereo system has a read out that give info on the Jeep's systems and reads the battery at about 14.4-14.7 while the engine is running, about 12.2 when it's off.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE - dome lights will occasionally work when I open the door fine, but only when the car has been completely off. As soon as I do anything that involves electricals (turn the key, even just turn on the lights) they will kick out. Once this happens they won't work again for a while.

WTF? Anyone?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Well... that changes things... that leans more toward TIPM issues... so, to be clear... you don't touch a thing... vehicle is completely off and has been for a while, the lights work fine... lights don't work if you wake the vehicle up first?

See that implies a TIPM issue of some kind. The vehicle is 'awake' for 3-5 minutes after you've turned the ignition off...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Not exactly - the dome lights work fine UNTIL I wake the vehicle up, to an extent. Hit the unlock on the fob, headlights turn on, and (sometimes) the dome lights will kick on when I open the door. As soon as I turn the key, though, the dome lights turn off. Also, if I turn on the headlights with the switch, even without the keys in the ignition, the dome lights kick out. Oddly, when I start the car the dome lights will turn on for a sec while the engine fires (only if they had been working). Of note, this is not every time. Also of note, under no circumstance am I amble to manually turn the dome lights on with the knob on the steering wheel, whereas the buttons on the light itself always work.

Getting. Aggravated.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

TIPM or BCM?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Oh, something nice a cheap like that - awesome. This goes out of my knowledge base, these just shots in the dark or have some experience with them?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have experience with a bad TIPM which caused all kinds of craziness (wipers coming on by themselves, my dome lights coming on by themselves).

That said, perhaps it's worth checking that all the door plugs are completely seated and all of the pins in the door plugs are also in place securely.

Quick Reply: Dome Lights - with a Caveat