Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electronic stability control light comes on. Why?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
When you lift your Jeep, it may be necessary to recenter your steering wheel ( is it slightly turned when going straight? ). The Jeep looks at the steering wheel position. And compares that to the different wheel / tire speeds. If the Jeep see's the wheel slightly turned. And both tires moving at the same speed, then it derives that one wheel must be slipping. Because in a normal turn, the outside wheel must be rolling faster than the inside wheel.
I will check it out. I had the Jeep lifted about 8 months ago at a good shop and the light just started coming on once a couple weeks ago and once last week. Can the wheel position move 8 month after it's set?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gues it may be possible for things to move as your new lift settles in. And if you were on the edge of the problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

The first thing to check is always the steering wheel center. After that you may want to check your ABS lines for wear or something along those lines.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Gues it may be possible for things to move as your new lift settles in. And if you were on the edge of the problem.
I just drove it home and the wheel seams pretty straight & centered. I must just have some electric issue going on. I will take the info you guys have given me and keep a eye on everything hopefully it won't happen again.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sburggsx
The first thing to check is always the steering wheel center. After that you may want to check your ABS lines for wear or something along those lines.
What and where are the ABS lines?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I just had this problem and Im on a trip through nowhere nevada. Not really, Im near carson city.
Called my dealer back home in San Diego and they said go to the dealer right away and dont drive it home.

I googled it and ofcorse its on jkforum. Its funny you guys said is the steering wheel straight. I went hard offroading a month ago, its a 13 so I have had it just over a year and ofroaded it good lots of times but last month was the hardest. 4 low locked up and down a mountain and drug my skid plates up and down. I really need a 3 inch lift. Anyway, my alingment was off. So my shop had to buy the cam adjusters for my front trailing arms and install them since they didnt come with them. My front axle had moved back on the right side about 1/8 inch. So it was done and aligned but my steering wheel wasnt quite straight, and on a straight it gently drifts to the right but does take a bit of road to do it. Well, over the last month the steering wheel has moved a little more and now that Ive been bumping around Nevada on the snowy muddy roads I guess it moved more and the light came on.

I parked it and adjusted the drag link from the steering wheel to the front right wheel one turn. Tightened it up and went for a drive. I got to the paved road and went down it, I was going straight now with the steering wheel straight. I went further and shut down, pulled the key and opened the door. Started and still had the light, went further and did the same routine. Took a few times for the computer in the Jeep to learn I was now going straight with the wheel straight and after a couple resets, the light did not come on. All good now. Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
ArcticJKU (01-05-2022)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Steering wheel

Is your steering wheel straight and true?
So my steering wheel is not straight. It’s turned to the left.. always thought that was strange. Will that make the ESC light come on?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Momikey
It's strange. It just came on and stayed on. When I turn jeep off and then back on the light would still be on for a minute then shut off.
Once your truck thinks there is something wrong - the light will come on - even if the 'problem' was sensed for just a moment, the light will stay on.

When you cycle your ignition, the computer does a systems check (all the warning lights on your dash come on) and if everything is alright - the idiot lights go out.

I wired in a nanny control 'kill' switch that momentarily breaks the circuit for the ABS etc. As soon as I press the switch my ABS light comes on - but once I cycle the ignition, the computer reestablishes the link and the dash lights go out.

You may have a faulty connection or sensor that is breaking the circuit momentarily to trigger the dash light.

Your mods may be the cause of it, and actually that's kind of of break - at least you have a starting point for trouble shooting.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default ESC light

I hit snow this morning and slid sideways into a curb. My steering wheel is at two o’clock when I’m going straight. I set up an appointment to get it fixed. Do I really need to park it until the appointment??? Can I simply turn off ESC?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mine too

This has been happening with my 2013 too, but it only happens when I am driving past one particular spot near my house where there is some extensive roadworks happening. Now call me crazy, but I think my ESC is being activated by a radio transponder of some sort, or something like that, on one the pieces of roadwork equipment or a digital sign or something like that. The reason for me to think this is that it only happens in that one spot, it only happens on weekdays and not weekends, public holidays, etc. (The roadworks was shut down for a couple of weeks over the end of year break and it didn't happen once). Once I've stopped my Jeep and started her back up the light turns off.

Quick Reply: Electronic stability control light comes on. Why?