Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Engine runs without ignition key

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine runs without ignition key

I put this somewhere down in the "European" Forum but i believe this to be a rather strange thing happening with a cars engine thus i copy this here. Usually car owners face the opposite.

JK Sahara Unlimited imported from Sweden and now stationed in Switzerland.

Special troubles indeed...

When i want to power off the engine and remove the key (a fairly standard procedure) while leaving the headlights on the engine keeps on running. I have always thought that by turning the ignition key to the off position the motor is separated from any electricity. But here this is obviously not the case

I've had this issue a few weeks after i got my car... First analysis show that it is something to do with the day light electronics which are required in Sweden thus this was disabled by the garage. After 2 weeks this day light feature activated itself again and the old problem with not being able to power off the engine appeared again...

Still much better than not being able to start the engine.

Next monday it will go to the garage again. Let's see what they, together with Chrysler find out.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

What a unique problem. Too bad Swedes can't think to turn on their own headlights and have to have the Jeep do it for them. Or maybe there's another law that says if your headlights are on, your engine has to be running. Ha. On my (American) Jeep, if I leave the headlights on accidentally, the commputer eventually turns them off. Same with the interior lights. So you engine will probably shut down eventually. You probably need to have the computer "flashed" so it stops confusing the engine with an accessory.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Uwe
When i want to power off the engine and remove the key (a fairly standard procedure) while leaving the headlights on the engine keeps on running. I have always thought that by turning the ignition key to the off position the motor is separated from any electricity. But here this is obviously not the case
When you turn off the headlights does the motor finally stop?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by horwitzs
When you turn off the headlights does the motor finally stop?
I've to put the key back as i do in a normal start procedure, then switch the headlights off, then turn the ignition key to the off position. Only then does the engine stop...

It's a bit like entertainment by Chrysler to have a car that doesn't stop :-)
Old 10-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Uwe
I put this somewhere down in the "European" Forum but i believe this to be a rather strange thing happening with a cars engine thus i copy this here. Usually car owners face the opposite.

JK Sahara Unlimited imported from Sweden and now stationed in Switzerland.

Special troubles indeed...

I've had this issue a few weeks after i got my car... First analysis show that it is something to do with the day light electronics which are required in Sweden thus this was disabled by the garage. After 2 weeks this day light feature activated itself again and the old problem with not being able to power off the engine appeared again...

Still much better than not being able to start the engine.

Next monday it will go to the garage again. Let's see what they, together with Chrysler find out.
Just to add some more salt to my wounds, my JK's engine as simply died while driving. The engine can not be brought to live and there are no error codes to see. Hauling it to the garage on friday night at a cost of 300$ was the last of my options. Compared to my previous YJ's i'm really not that happy with it. It has now 8000km only, after 5 months of owning it.

At least the first 5000km where without fault, then it all started to turn against me...

:-(
Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

I believe Canada has the mandatory headlights "on" when the vehicle starts also. Any of our Great White North Brothers & Sisters experience the issue that Uwe is having across the pond?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my JK has DRL's.... no issues here. definetly sounds like a computer error, it should at the minimum, be reflashed.

maybe just get into the habit of turning off your lights before you turn off the ignition.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bro try not to call your JEEP a car, because it isn't a car OK????
Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Well, the JK is dead at the moment. The behavior after the engine died (while driving) was confusing because...

Sometimes day interior lights came on after opening the doors, sometimes not.
Sometimes all lights and dashboard went dark after removing the ignition key, sometimes not.
There is no start activity at all when i want to start the engine but everything else looks working like radio, blower, lights...
About 3 weeks ago the the cars computer was replaced. This was when i still had this issue of not being able to power off the engine.
The day lights have been disabled only to activate themselfs some days later.
The error logs are empty so there is no computer analysis possible.

In Europe one really gets to feel how Chrysler has independent divisons in each country. Because it is a Swedish model the Swiss Chrysler divison is not very helpful and only comes to live after informing the Swedish division. But then, all EU countries fall under the same law so they are kind of forced to fullfill promised waranty except the Swiss which are not a EU member.

The wording usually is, because this is not according to Swiss standards we do not have enough knowledge to repair this swedish model and so on...

I write this more as an information for those on the other side of the atlantic than to complain and rant here about Jeep/Chrysler. And, i still have my good old YJ to go where ever i want :-)

Now i will just wait and see what i get told on monday...
Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

If I was a motorcyclist in these other countries I'd be pissed.

Quick Reply: Engine runs without ignition key