Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ESP/BAS and Traction Control - MERGED

Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP/BAS and Traction Control - MERGED

So today I was driving in the city like normal. I went over a speed bump at a cautious speed then my ESP/BAS and Traction control lights came on. I clicked the esp off button on my dash and the traction control light went off but the other stayed on. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3043992876.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	649643  
Old 06-13-2016, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default ESP/BAS and Traction Control

So today I was driving in the city like normal. I went over a speed bump at a cautious speed then my ESP/BAS and Traction control lights came on. I clicked the esp off button on my dash and the traction control light went off but the other stayed on. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3043992876.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	649646  
Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESP/BAS and Traction Control

Check if there's a code. Good place to start.

I just got the exact same lights and Torque reported U140A. Fix for that particular code is to replace the abs speed sensor. I'll find out tomorrow if that does it.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

This happened to be after loaded up the front end with winch, it happens randomly and then goes off. Guessing alignment could be slightly out or wheel bearings are going
Old 06-13-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default same

Mine did the same thing today. Went over a bump and the ABS and ESP light came on. The weird thing is that right after that I came up to a stop sign. When taking off, it sounded like the rear axle was spinning, on the drivers side.

The dealer was just in there to replace the axel seals a few months ago. Is it possible that something came lose, and the axel really was free spinning?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
Check if there's a code. Good place to start.

I just got the exact same lights and Torque reported U140A. Fix for that particular code is to replace the abs speed sensor. I'll find out tomorrow if that does it.
I checked and there is no DTC code when you turn the key 3 Times like you're suppose to.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your steering wheel ****ed off center at all?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default ESP/BAS and Traction Control - MERGED

Originally Posted by alecwaller1
I checked and there is no DTC code when you turn the key 3 Times like you're suppose to.
I had to use a cheapo Bluetooth OBD reader to get the code. The key thing didn't work for me either for some reason. Maybe swing by a auto part store and ask to borrow their reader?

I switched the abs sensor out yesterday and lights are gone now thankfully. Would have taken a LOT longer and $$ to figure out which sensor was reporting a fault without that code.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by munir
I had to use a cheapo Bluetooth OBD reader to get the code. The key thing didn't work for me either for some reason. Maybe swing by a auto part store and ask to borrow their reader?

I switched the abs sensor out yesterday and lights are gone now thankfully. Would have taken a LOT longer and $$ to figure out which sensor was reporting a fault without that code.
The DTC trouble codes don't read ABS problems unless it's with the module itself(i.e. won't tell you about sensor). They won't read brake problems either. You have to either borrow a scanner for ABS codes from the auto parts place or do the Bluetooth thing with the app on your phone.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recommend picking up this OBD2 reader as it also does ABS codes and SRS (airbag) codes. Works with every vehicle I've hooked it up too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: ESP/BAS and Traction Control - MERGED