Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory AMP Replacement - What will fit ?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory AMP Replacement - What will fit ?

Over the weekend, I had to remove/re-install the Alpine PDX-5 amp that I have under the steering column in place of the factory amp. The question has been asked if other amps will fit there. My opinion, and the opinion of the custom shop installer is MAYBE...You can probably fit something maybe 1" wider than the Alpines, and maybe another 1" taller, but you would be extremely squeezed to go thicker.

My amp is slid into place by removing 1) the plastic piece directly under the steering column, and 2) the plastic piece directly under that. The 2nd piece reveils a hole that you can slide the amp thru. You are limited in size to that hole unless you want to remove/re-install the pedals and other stuff under the dash...and even if you did all that, there is still only the 1" or so described above once you get it in there and attached (zip tie'd mine) to the metal front brackets the plastic trim pieces clip into.

Pic 1 - This is where mine is wired. Arrow points to the hole that the amp can easily be slid thru. Note that the amp is turned to face the way it will be attached as...it cannot be turned over once in the hole.

Pic 2 - This is the amp after installed. Mine is zip-tied snugly. You might be able to fab a bracket, but the zip-ties seem to hold pretty well. With this amp, the controls are easily reachable and adjustable with the amp mounted firmly in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Install 1.jpg
Views:	28862
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	20177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Install 2.jpg
Views:	16534
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	20178  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you driving with that PDX5? I've considered getting a PDX to drive a my new system that i'm planning. My installer doesn't like Class D amps though but is willing to work with me on this. Also, which head unit are you using with this?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Why no class D amps.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skippman
My installer doesn't like Class D amps though but is willing to work with me on this.
What don't they like? The small size? The massive power? The fact that it can cancel out the noise IT induces? How cool it runs? The power efficiency?

Sorry, but IMHO, Class D is the best thing to happen to the car audio industry since FM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I think he's mostly concerned with the loss in fedility in a class D amp, and there is an audable diffrence. I'm running a PDX4.150 in my Miata and it sounds great. But with that being said I can definatly hear the diffrence between a PDX and a Class A/B amp like my old Phoenix Gold and the Zapco's he's wanting to use. I think I'm likely to do a PXD in my Jeep for the same reason I did it in my Miata, to save space. But just like MP3 vs CDDA there is an audable diffrence between the two.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

What HU am I running? - I was using the factory single disc CD with Sirius for a couple weeks with a PAC harness to allow the amp connection. Over the weekend, I bit the bullet and bought the JVC-NX7000BT. This got the PAC harness out, and I am much more impressed with the sound quality.

What is the PDX-5 pushing? - Replaced the front dash speakers and using 2 channels for that. No soundbar speakers. Mounted 2 Bazooka double ended tubbies on the rear roll bars...using 2 channels to power those. Single 10" sub box in rear powered by the 5th channel.

As for class A/B/C/D - IMO does it really matter if it serves the purpose of your listening? I'm not competing anything and a Jeep isn't the best platform for a surround sound system. Mine is clear, plenty loud, and sounds great...that's all I need.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Obviously with the Bazooka tubes you're way more into bass than I'm looking to be.

I was interested specifically in what speakers you were using? Boston? Alpine? Infinity? Something exotic (Hertz, Dyne, ID)?

I'll be using the PDX5 w/ a MyGIG so replacing the head unit isnt something I'm really interested in doing.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
Obviously with the Bazooka tubes you're way more into bass than I'm looking to be.

I was interested specifically in what speakers you were using? Boston? Alpine? Infinity? Something exotic (Hertz, Dyne, ID)?

I'll be using the PDX5 w/ a MyGIG so replacing the head unit isnt something I'm really interested in doing.
The front dash speaker replacements are Rockford Fosgate M2 series marine speakers. They are struggling for space to get much mid range bass out of them, but remain plenty loud and absolutely clear. I would recommend trying something else that better compliments the air space in the dash.

The Bazooka TUBBIES (not exactly TUBES) are not designed totally for bass. These are double ended, meaning they have a 8" sub/midrange on one end, and a 5-1/4" and tweeter on the other. Definately marine grade. These are designed for boats and usually get mounted to the wakeboard towers. You run 1 set of powered speaker leads to each tubbie, and the built in passive crossovers do the rest. They are VERY LOUD. I highly recommend these if you want something a little different.

The sub is a single shallow mount Rockford Fostgate 10" P3. It is in a custom box behind the back seat and against the side wall.

I am cutting out the speaker holes/ends on the sound bar to create more head room, and because there's plenty of speaker with the above items.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Big Clint
What HU am I running? - I was using the factory single disc CD with Sirius for a couple weeks with a PAC harness to allow the amp connection. Over the weekend, I bit the bullet and bought the JVC-NX7000BT. This got the PAC harness out, and I am much more impressed with the sound quality.

What is the PDX-5 pushing? - Replaced the front dash speakers and using 2 channels for that. No soundbar speakers. Mounted 2 Bazooka double ended tubbies on the rear roll bars...using 2 channels to power those. Single 10" sub box in rear powered by the 5th channel.

As for class A/B/C/D - IMO does it really matter if it serves the purpose of your listening? I'm not competing anything and a Jeep isn't the best platform for a surround sound system. Mine is clear, plenty loud, and sounds great...that's all I need.

What is this PAC harness? I just ordered an amp for mine, will I need this harness? I have the sigle disc player.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm going to go with some Hertz Hi-Energy components. Definatly audiophile grade. They're probably WAY overkill for the Jeep, but I sometimes sit in the parking lot at the office on break and just listen to tunes to de-stress.

Quick Reply: Factory AMP Replacement - What will fit ?