Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Flashing lights and chimes, then Jeep dies

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing lights and chimes, then Jeep dies

Hi everyone, I need your help please! My 2007 3.8L Auto JK started having electrical issues while I am driving. The lights in the dash will all flash, and the chimes will sound, then about 15-20 seconds later the Jeep dies and does not have any electrical power at all (won’t click, no lights on, nothing). If I wait for a few minutes, it will turn back on and run fine. It happens about every time I drive it, usually after a couple miles of driving.

The battery checks good and I tightened the terminals down and don’t have excessive corrosion on the terminals.

This problem surfaced after I washed the engine bay, I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or if I got something too wet. I used a garden hose on low pressure and didn’t spray directly on electrical components. I removed the PCM and opened it up just to be sure, it didn’t have any shorts that I could see.

Has as anyone else seen this? What could it be?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(bump) Nobody has experienced this before, or knows what could be causing it?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I've not heard of this before, but it does sound like you've got a problem with the TIPM.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like it could be an alternator issue. You can check your alternator with a multimeter to be sure...another thing it could be is the crankshaft position sensor, not an uncommon problem with these cars. Edit: after reading your issue again I am almost certain this is either the alternator or battery. Did you have the battery tested under load? Just putting a meter on it to check voltage wont show if the battery is actually faulty.

Last edited by Jkwrangler89; 04-11-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Flashing lights and chimes, then Jeep dies