Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Light Activation Robbery

Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinGT
I called both in my area...$150 from one and $100 from another...
see call a third one, that'll do it
Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having to pay

Have any of you any idea how much it cost to keep a business open?
I'm not trying to justify the cost. It's just i have a mower shop and i have lost money the pass two years trying to be the low cost guy.
Sorry for my bitch.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GOOVERIT
I'm not trying to justify the cost. It's just i have a mower shop and i have lost money the pass two years trying to be the low cost guy.
Sorry for my bitch.
It's Jeep's fault for deigning the system in such a away thayt requires dealer intervention and not maintaining QC on dealers
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for paying folks for their services and supporting the economy. But what Chrysler is doing borders on crazy. I realize the JK's are all computerized and all, but this seems like a shameless ploy to get money out of people. Just my opinion of course.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for my bitch.
I know how much it cost to keep a small business running because I run one...and also know that a business shouldn't plan on trying to squeeze $150 from someone to do a 10 minute job that I am more then willing to pay for.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can feel you on the over reasonable cost. Did you try to negotiate the price.
Sometimes i will let the customer have a price break, if that will get them to return.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for my bitch.
I'm sure it's tough keeping a small mom-and-pop business open in today's economy. But your mom-and-pop didn't just receive a gift of $4.5 billion. They shouldn't be trying to rape people on service because they think they're blind.

I got the procedure done on my Grand Cherokee and it was $48, half hour of service.

Maybe they're quoting you total installation time. Call them on the phone and tell them you need them to activate the fog lights via StarSCAN. If they still quote high, go and find the guy that would actually do it and tell him you'll give him $50 to do it.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most dealerships have a minimum charge of one hour's labor. One hour of labor is around a hundred bucks, and in some areas more. Mechanics work on vehicles for their living......not to do somebody favors all the time. When you pay a professional to do something, you're paying for their knowledge of how to program the PCM. Can you do it? Do you have the equipment? I agree that 150 is a little high, but you shouldn't expect to get out for next to nothing. Why would that be fair?

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 10-29-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Most dealerships have a minimum charge of one hour's labor. One hour of labor is around and a hundred bucks, and in some areas more. Mechanics work on vehicles for their living......not to do somebody favors all the time. When you pay a professional to do something, you're paying for their knowledge of how to program the PCM. Can you do it? Do you have the equipment? I agree that 150 is a little high, but you shouldn't expect to get out for next to nothing. Why would that be fair?
I never said I expect to get it for next to nothing but it literally is going to take 15 minutes to plug into the computer, and do the work. I don't mind paying for half an hour of labor but don't charge for more then the actual work they are doing. If they are going to charge me a full hours worth of labor then I want an hours worth of work done.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinGT
I never said I expect to get it for next to nothing but it literally is going to take 15 minutes to plug into the computer, and do the work. I don't mind paying for half an hour of labor but don't charge for more then the actual work they are doing. If they are going to charge me a full hours worth of labor then I want an hours worth of work done.
Whose the judge of how long something takes? The customer? Yeah, right. When I worked for GM in the late eighties and the nineties, I could put a water pump on an IROK Camaro in about 20 minutes. That job paid 2.5 hours under customer pay if I remember correctly. So, are you saying that mechanics should be punished just because they know how to do something in less time than what the labor book calls for? Help me understand your position. So far, it ain't makin sense.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Activation Robbery